Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

cav kg charles ill? Please read & help

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by maisiemoos, Sep 25, 2013.

1. maisiemoos

maisiemoos PetForums Newbie

First time here so please be gentle. I "joined up" this morning because I dont know what to do. Please read below and before you advise the vert please be mondful of limited resource due to divorce. I visit vet v regularly and spent a small fortune...

Maisie, a cav king charles is 5 years old, overweight because always been very quiet, timid and lazy. She wont even get out of bed to greet me sometimes! But has been known to play and get excited. So thats just her. I got her at 1 yr old, she was well treated.

She has always licked herself, rubbed her anal glands. I treat her "bits" with a solution from the vet and regularly squeeze her anal glands which absolutely stink. She has has a lot of urine problems and I have had lots of anti-biotic courses and eventually an op to remove big bladder stones, despite being on a prescrition diet she continues to have problems (crystals in urine)

Her ears constantly get smelly and I wash regularly and use vets prescribed treatment and her eyes too!

Just lately she started chewing her back legs, shes always excessively licked herself but now its getting her paw pads swollen and her back legs look scabby. I have stopped her from doing this with a collar.

Now she's started pooing in the house. Its soft but not bad diarreah, but there were blood spots next to her bed and then blood in one of the "piles" either at the beginning or end of her poo. This happened twice. This pooing on the floor has continued every night now, despite being walked. Shes never done this before!

If I take her to the vet, what can they do? Should I see if it clears up? Could it be kidneys failing? I cant tell if she's ill because she doesnt do much anyway. She always looks depressed. lol. I dont know if the vet can tell if a dog is in a lot of pain. I guess I could get some metacalm and see if she improves as that would take the pain away?
    Any help appr.

Ta

#1 maisiemoos, Sep 25, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Sounds like she may have more than one medical problem going on.

What prescription diet is she on? That may be responsible for the skin issues and the digestive ones.

When was the last time she had a blood test?

3. maisiemoos

Shes on same food as always. Hills precription.
    Bllod test sounds like an idea. Thet would rule out a lot, see if white cells are present. Good idea.
    Yeah, she has a lot going on, she was probably the runt. I wouldnt buy from same breeder. What ashame, she's so very lovely. my perfect dog. A good girl

4. maisiemoos

Forgot to add. Vet diagnosed a heart murmur last visit :-(

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

A lot of vets offer an in house blood test these days, which takes a matter of minutes and doesnt cost the earth.

Should give you an overview of organ function and show if there is infection present of anything that may need further investigation.

You might have some problems if it is the diet complicating, as its hard to find a suitable diet for dogs with bladder issues without a tonne of research.

You could always swap over to Royal Canin Urinary, and see if that agrees a little better.

Id start with a blood test personally, and go from there. Especially if you are concerned about kidney problems. Would also be worth getting a urine sample at the same time and killing two birds with one stone.

6. ellenlouisepascoe

ellenlouisepascoe PetForums VIP

Like above I would get her bloods tested.

An overweight CKCS is a danger unto itself unfortunately , they are prone to Mitral valve disease, a disorder of the heart in which the mitral valve does not close properly when the heart pumps out blood which can lead to heart failure.

They are also prone to Syringomyelia

Syringomyelia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ours was extremely itchy and smelly eared before we switched his food. Again my Taz was the runt from a puppy farm , his breeding is not very good and you can tell by just looking at him. I clean his ears every couple of days, regular grooming and baths, once a month to the grooming parlor to have his coat cut back.

Vet is definitely a must , Taz had a friend when he lived with my MIL and out of the blue they woke up one morning to find she had passed away during the night, she hadn't shown any signs of being ill was lazy as always, and she was only 6 years old. Vet confirmed her heart had failed :( Not to worry you , or frighten you but these little doggies have to be watched like a hawk when it comes to their health

7. maisiemoos

Aw. Poor little thing.
    Yes I knew about the heart and she is already showing signs. Thanks goodness she's coping OK. Her laziness is probably keeping her alive. Its extreamly difficult to get any exercise out of her, I walk her twice a day and no treats :-(
    Thanks for both your feedback. I will definately take her to the vet, get her blood checked and I will get her food changed - maybe slightly

Thanks

8. Yorkiemorkiemum

Yorkiemorkiemum PetForums Senior

She sounds very much like our old Yorkie Toby. We couldn't get him insured due to major allergy problems. He used to get lumps on his skin like massive heat lumps and red patches on his belly. He also had sebaceous cysts removed and a benign tumour removed from his mouth. He also had to have his anal glands emptied by our dog groomer ( I wouldn't do it because if you do this wrongly they can become infected) As he got older he became barrel like in his tummy and used to lick his paws so much he used to get red and sore, turned out he had an allergy to grass seeds, so we had our lawn removed from our garden and had it flagged and used to get Malaseb shampoo from the vets for him. Then he started peeing for England and having blood in his poo, just small amounts but it worried me. He had a small seizure so I immediately took him back to our vet who said he had a tooth infection and a heart arhythmia and gave him tablets and took his tooth out. He was better but took poorly again when the vet saw him he said he needed blood tests and took him in for observation. Unfortunately as our dog was fourteen it was all too much too late. I changed vets for our other dog and subsequent pup and have them both insured for life long conditions and I'm so relieved especially as our pup got meningitis two weeks ago. When he took ill the first thing they did was blood tests then sent him to the vets hospital. If they hadn't and just messed about guessing what it could be without any tests he would have died. My point is please don't waste time and money look for a vet that tests and treats not mess about costing you a fortune in the process. I learned the hard way. I would also look at your dogs diet especially with all the issues .

9. jaycee05

jaycee05 PetForums VIP

Just a thought, he could have some bowel disease ,like colitis, one of my cats has it, and does exactly the same thing, diarrhea with blood in it somerimes, and pooing on the floor,sometimes instead of tray

10. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

If you have her blood tested ask the vet to do a thyroid and Cushings test. Hypothyroidism brings with it lethargy and depression and she is at the age it mostly comes on. One of my Mals was diagnosed with it at five years old. Although she sounds more thyroid dysfunctional Cushings brings with it dullness and confusion, plus incontinence both faecal and urine. I have a dog with Cushings too.

Bloods are the best way to rule out or diagnose problems. Also I wonder if her itching could ha due to harvest mites, which are prevalent at this time of year. To relieve itching or harvest mite infestation I use CSJ essential oil spray and CSJ neem oil bar to bath them if necessary. If she does have either of the two conditions I have mentioned you need to go for natural products and not chemical because the body's reaction may be far more sensitive to chemicals than a normal, healthy dogs body would be.
    http://www.csjk9.com/productcart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=18

#10 Malmum, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  11. maisiemoos

Thanks to you all for your replies. I never thought about some of this stuff. Thanks

12. Bellaboo1

Bellaboo1 PetForums VIP

There is another thread running regarding yeast infection in a cav I was thinking maybe this could be possible problem with your Maisie ?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice