Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cautiously optimistic about Lori

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jaf, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

My beautiful naughty tortie has had months of treatment for terrible infection of the paw bed and scabs on her ears, face and tummy. I decided to try an elimination diet alongside medical treatment, and with some great advice from members on here finally got her started on Kangaroo food.

The vet wanted her to stop antibiotics for 10 days before taking swabs, to increase the accuracy of the test but I wasn't able to do that as after a day she would go so downhill.

Lori has improved so much with the food that she has been off the antibiotics for 10 days! Off to vets tomorrow for the tests but I can't find any infection puss on her paw anymore ( squeeze the toes). It has been such a slow improvement that I didn't think it was helping. I think it might also be a help having a break from the antibiotics, she's been on them for 6 months.

I know she's a long way to go yet, I will start her with a different single protein food in a few weeks to start the process the identify her food allergies/ intolerances.

Wish me luck with the vet, Lori is bitey when she feels better like now!

IMG_2032.JPG

jazzye, Brrosa, Gwen9244 and 8 others like this.
  2. Ali71

Ali71 PetForums VIP

Lori's so pretty, @Jaf - she looks amazing!

Best of luck at the vet tomorrow :)

Jaf likes this.
  3. LJC675

LJC675 PetForums VIP

That's great news, what a worrying time you must have been having. Good luck at the vet and I hope things keep improving.

Jaf likes this.
  4. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

That's really good news after such a struggle. Hope all goes well at the vets.

Jaf likes this.
  5. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Lori is such a pretty little thing. I wish you both well

6. PetloverJo

PetloverJo PetForums VIP

I hope all goes well tomorrow. A very pretty girl you have there.

Jaf likes this.
  7. Gwen9244

Gwen9244 PetForums VIP

We had an allergy problem with Charlie and he's been on the Kangaroo for a little while so hoping for positive results for Lori and for Charlie.

Jaf likes this.
  8. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

That is great news

Jaf likes this.
  9. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

How did Lori get on at the vets? Did she behave or disgrace herself marvellously?

Jaf likes this.
  10. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

Thank you all.

Well the vet was a bit nonplussed! I had asked him before starting Lori on the Kangaroo but he thought it could not be a food problem, because she should have more scabs on her face. So when I showed him Lori, and how well she looks, he didn't know what to say. He said if I can manage it with diet that's great.

He took a swab anyway, only 1 toe had any gunge to swab, get the results in a week or so.

Lori was quite naughty, bitey hissy and scratchy. We both have marks, but not too bad. She is getting a bit better every day, now running on her "bad" paw towards the door when I open it (no chance of escape though Lori Light Ears as it's an internal door).

@Gwen9244 thanks, and I hope Charlie improves loads. Can I ask how his allergy shows up?

Brrosa, ewelsh and bluecordelia like this.
  11. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

That's great that the vet took on diet. The saying "you are what you eat" is so true. I hope kangaroo is the answer. I don't know what brand you feed but I get catz fine food kangaroo from ZP. It's well received by both cats. Mind you most supermarkets sell it these days and you can supplement

Jaf likes this.
  12. Gwen9244

Gwen9244 PetForums VIP

@Jaf Charlie suffers from granuloma which comes up as legions around his mouth. He's not bothered by them but if they aren't treated they can get quite nasty. Unfortunately, this ends up in antibiotics and a long term steroid injection. After some excellent advice from @chillminx we switched him onto the Catz Finefood Purr kangaroo - he was on Natures Menu Country Hunter chicken - he has only been on this for about a month but we are keeping our fingers crossed.

chillminx likes this.
  13. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

Oh @Gwen9244 I am sorry, looked that up and it's awful. Poor Charlie boy. Just think how much worse it would be if he didn't have you.

Lori is even better today. Almost perfect, fur growing back everywhere. I'm getting the flying frenzy out later, she hasn't played with it for months.

14. Gwen9244

Gwen9244 PetForums VIP

Thanks @Jaf . As I say he isn't bothered at all by them, he eats and runs around as normal.

So glad to hear that Lori is doing so well! Have fun with the flying frenzy!

Jaf likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice