Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Causes and Cures of Dog Tear Stains

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by molly.buldog, Mar 29, 2011.

1. molly.buldog

molly.buldog PetForums Junior

2. bubbles88

bubbles88 PetForums Junior

Thanks for the info funny thing i was talking to someone about why my mums dog get stains on her face and this has helped to clear it up. :)

3. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

Having a Bichon with tear stains I have researched and read oodles of info about this, spoken to Poppy's groomer and the vet.

Groomer and vet both say "it happens with Bichons" to which I replied "It happens with some Bichons but not all". Poppy's litter sister (my son's dog) has no tear stains and a neighbour's Bichon has none either. I've tried most things recommended including:

Some articles say blocked tear ducts cause it. Poppy's were checked last week when she was spayed and they are fine.

She has filtered water with apple cider vinegar added - has not helped.

She regularly has organic natural probiotic yogurt - not helped.

Food and water served in the recommended stainless steel dishes - not helped.

A home made paste of Optrex (the one with boric acid in), lemon juice, sudocreme and boric acid powder - what a gunky mess which stiffened on her face when dried and was a pig to get off and it made not a scrap of difference.

Wiping eyes every day with cooled boiled water, or just with a dry cotton pad and although it dries the tears up the stains are still there.

Tried Johnson's Diamond Eyes - stinks like billy-o and didn't work.

Food with beet pulp in it can apparently contribute to the red stains.

I also read that tear staining can clear up when teething finishes - not so in Poppy's case.

Angel Eyes as mentioned in molly.buldog's link cannot be bought in the UK nor imported as it contains Tylosin which is an antibiotic. There are many debates about Tylosin and whether or not it should be used for dogs with this problem. You will see it for sale on Amazon and Ebay but they are US sellers. It will probably get stopped by Customs because of the Tylosin.

There is a natural tear stain remover from NaturVet which I may try but first I am going to change Poppy to a raw diet as I've read that might help.

I'd be really interested to hear whether any other Bichon owners have the tear stain problem or have found a way to deal with them.

#3 DirtyGertie, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice