Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Causes and Cures of Dog Tear Stains

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by molly.buldog, Mar 29, 2011.

1. molly.buldog

molly.buldog PetForums Junior

2. zeitah

zeitah PetForums Newbie

Hey molly,
    Code:

Thanks for the link!

My cockerpoo pup Stella has bad tear stains despise trying to clean and dry them. At her 10 week check yesterday the vet didn't even mention them so they are hopefully.medically not too bad.

Gonna try the sneek of vinegar in the water tomorrow and will pick up some natural yoghurt at the shops....hope it helps!

:)

3. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

I posted a reply to this same post on the Health and Nutrition section here about our struggle with tear stains and what we've tried. Do post if you have any success with the vinegar or yogurt, some people do but it hasn't worked for us.

With the vinegar I've read that it should be organic apple cider vinegar (got mine from a health food shop). I put some in a little dropper bottle and added one drop for a couple of days, then 2 drops for a couple of days, 3 drops for a few days, currently up to five drops. If you do it gradually they wont notice the change in taste.

4. Angie2011

Angie2011 PetForums VIP

Hi there! :) i know this may sound daft! and i have put it on here somewhere before! but....i have a very light coloured Shih Tzu who had very bad eye stain, and i used a tea bag! :eek: Yup! you read it right :) and it's BRILLENT! i use Tetley tea bags (not decaf) as this wont work. Add boiled water in a small bowl dip the tea bag in (just a few drops) so you can just see a little brown in the water, use while warm, dip a cotton makeup pad (not ball) in, fold in half so it is a little thicker to use! and you can control it better, then rub gently on the stain, BUT NOT IN THE EYE! :) believe me you will see the stain on the cotton pad strait away! then use clear boiled water with a fresh cotton pad to rinse the area! then dry with a clean pad! I frowned when i was told this :eek: This lady i met when Oscar was about 5 months (now 9yrs) she had had Shih Tzu's for years! and it was the only thing she used! i had tried all kinds of different things but they never worked! and now i never use anything else, if he dose start to get a little eye stain:D BUT! obviously if it is not a medical condition :D Hope this helps :)

5. DirtyGertie

I tried the tea too after reading it on here. No staining came off on the cotton pad :( .

I think some things work for some dogs so everything is worth a try, just still trying to find the one thing that works for Poppy :( .

6. new westie owner

new westie owner PetForums VIP

Tried allsorts for Bobby too nothing worked :(

7. Angie2011

Angie2011 PetForums VIP

Sorry it did not work for Poppy! :( was the tea strong enough? :) can i ask what tea did you use? :)

8. DirtyGertie

It was Typhoo or PG Tips - not sure which as OH gets the best offer at the time. It wasn't decaff. I dipped the bag 3 or 4 times in a little bowl of hot water until it looked like weak tea, didn't squeeze it out so it wasn't strong by any means.

Vet told us what a shame we'd just missed Crufts, we could have gone and asked the Bichon show people what they used. Yeah - can just imagine driving from North Wales to the NEC to a show we'd never normally go to just to ask a question.

I'll see how the raw feeding goes and if no better then I think I might try the NaturVet Tear Stain Remover, there are some good reviews but also some reviews that say it didn't work - not cheap either.

9. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

WOW I never knew there was so much info about this.

Charlie gets tear stains sometimes - only little ones thankfully.

But I think from now on he'll get filtered water. He already gets yogurt :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice