Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cattery vs. House Sitter

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Cosmic706, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Cosmic706

Cosmic706 PetForums Junior

Hi all! Wanted to throw this out there to see what other cat lovers think, i'm having an internal battle and now sure which way to go. I used to put my cats in a cattery, and they were very happy, but since got a 3rd, shes 6 months old and extremely affectionate with some seperation anxiety. I am loathe to put her in a cattery, I just dont think she would cope. I have just signed up to Trusted House Sitters to see what its all about, I understand the logistics and can't really see a problem but everyone I mention it to seems to balk at the idea of letting a stranger in to live in my house and look after my cats... I have already engaged with one couple who seem great on face value, and I'm prepared to go for it but just wanted a sanity check to see what the general consensus is on house sitters vs catteries!

Bit of further information, I'm definitely pro catteries, even though you do hear of negative behaviours from cats afterwards, I lost one cat who was run over while a friend was caring for them, and this year another was put to sleep on my return as he had lymphoma (unbeknownst to me) and was really ill while I was away. I feel for the people who were caring for them, they shouldnt have had to deal with that. Anyway! Lots of pros and cons, thoughts?

Thanks all!

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi @Cosmic706, my choice for my cats would always be for a live in house sitter instead of a cattery. I haven't used catteries for many years, but when I did my experiences of them varied from good to not-so-good.

One of my ex-neighbours always used-house sitters to look after her cats several times a year, while she was away, including a 6 week holiday she had in South Africa. Her experiences with the house sitters were always very good and afterwards she made permanent friendships with some of them.

The agencies she used were:

www.housecarers.com

www.mindmyhouse.com

Trusted House Sitters whom you have signed up with, also have an excellent reputation.

One important thing I would add, is that if you do decide to use house sitters (from any agency) leave a set of your house keys with a trusted neighbour, or a friend living near you, just in case of emergencies. This was something my neighbour always did. There was never an emergency requiring the key-holder to go into the house but it gave my neighbour peace of mind while she was away, knowing that someone trusted could gain access if necessary. .

ribbon likes this.
  3. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

We've always used catteries in the past, but we're going for a pet sitter next year as our usually confident cat just didn't seem himself for a few days after his cattery stay last year.It's the same cattery we've always used and he's always been fine, but I think maybe as they get that bit older, they find the move from their familiar territory harder to cope with.

We're using someone from Pawshake. We tried Trustedhousesitters but had zero interest in our house... I guess people don't want to come on holiday to the middle of a council estate, even if it's free! But it does look good if you can get enough people interested to be able to choose from among them.

chillminx likes this.
  4. Cosmic706

Cosmic706 PetForums Junior

Thanks both! @chillminx my neughbour always has a set of keys anyway, I would be permently locked out my house I reckon if she didn't!! But I might ask her to keep an ear out as well for any issues. THS does appear to have lits of praise, and is endorsed by Cats Protection, so I will just follow my instincts and see what happens!

@NaomiM I will take a look at Pawshake! I guess it does help that my house looks good in photos, little cottage in the country job but middle of nowhere and not much else around unless you are prepared to travel! Lots of interest from people who like hiking... whatever that is ... But I guess its horses for courses!

chillminx and NaomiM like this.
  5. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

I use both.
    8 yrs ago after interviewing many couples I found the right couple for my girls, I had a lot of animals at the time. Dogs cats, Guniea pigs, fish, horses, hens.

I have used the same house sitters for 7 yrs, they became my family in the end, they are their own bedroom and even choose the wall paper. I had total trust in them and they followed my routine to the letter. All my animals were completely at ease so I would go down this route IF you find the right people.

My couple are retired, sadly the wife died last year ( she was the cat fan ) now he is on his own he is unable to cope with all my girls ( in fairness they are a handful ) so I have been using a cattery for the last year. I went around loads of Cattery’s to inspect and found a delightful one.
    I am completely happy with my cats with this cattery, they send me daily photos of them, spoil them with what ever food they want, it’s a first class hotel really BUT the most important thing is no harm can come to my cats, especially my indoor cat.

Like you I live very rural, it’s not for most, it’s very lonely, very quiet and very dark especially in the winter months. You don’t want someone turning up with their friends and family romping up for a little weekend break in the country! ( yes you’d be surprised how many want to do this ) So interview as many people until your sure, also stipulate no other visitors! Check the sitters company have PL insurance and back up plans SHOULD someone be ill.

Research is the way forward.

ribbon and chillminx like this.
  6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice