Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cattery stay changes behaviour

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Demi105, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Demi105

Demi105 PetForums Newbie

Hi, I am new to this site, so am wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. Our cat went into a cattery unavoidably for 3 weeks. Previously she had been a house loving cat who liked to sit with us and was very friendly and liked to play. After the visit, she only wants to live outside and comes in for her food only when picked up and coaxed in. She makes a bolt for the cat flap and cant wait to get outside again when finished. She is still affectionate when we see her but she has definately changed. Any ideas please to coax her back inside. It has been 12 days now since returning home.

2. AnnC

AnnC PetForums Member

Sounds like somethings unsettled her, maybe she's afraid she's going to be taken away again. Possibly she's a cat that doesn't like going away from home.

Why not keep her in for a couple of weeks continuously so she gets the chance to settle back in to life.

My cats absolutely adore the lady that runs their cattery. When I drop them off Bluey checks out his toilet tray and Apollo checks the comfy chairs and sizes up the neighbours. They just don't care that I'm leaving them. Even when I collect them, the attitude is "well its nice to see you but can't we stay a bit longer"!

3. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

I guess she resented being cooped up in the cattery and missed the outdoors, and she may indeed be afraid you are going to take her back to this place.

Just spoil her and make a lot of fuss over her, and she will come around. If you need to leave again in future, try to arrange for a cat sitter to come to your house, or even stay at your house. She will probably prefer that to the cattery.

4. petergettins

petergettins PetForums Senior

She is most likely feeling unsettled and unsure, if she won't come in that much try playing games with her when she's outside so that she remembers what that was like and when she come in do the same & generally make a fuss of her. She'll settle back in again, especially when it gets cold & wet again. Bandit is outside all the time at the moment I hardly ever see her, albeit the garden's cat proofed so she can't get out, but they do go through phases even if they're quite settled.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice