Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cattery Software Booking System

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by FudgeTreacle, Mar 10, 2017.

1. FudgeTreacle

FudgeTreacle PetForums Newbie

Hello,

My husband & I have bought a house & cattery business and will be moving in in a couple of months.
    The current set up for bookings is just pen & paper so I was wondering if there are any cattery/breeding business owners who could recommend a software programme they have used/using.

Thank you.
    Regards,
    Amy

2. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

My husband is all over computer things & loves being organised so I just asked him his opinion.

He said just go for an excel spread sheet, easy to use, can make it fit per purpose, can include calendar, castings, auto sum.
    Cheaper keeping more funds for your cattery :D

Tigermoon and Lilylass like this.
  3. Shrike

Shrike Brooke's faithful manservant

You might like to look at a system for hotels/B&Bs as essentially all you're doing is booking customers into rooms. Mind you it would need to cater for special needs and diets.

4. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

Yup, would absolutely 2nd that

Excel really is a wonderful - and often very under utilised - piece of software

It really can do some amazing things - well worth looking into training courses on it, if you're not an advanced user (meant in the nicest possible way - I went on one a while back and was literally blown away with all the stuff it can do that I never knew!) - it really should be able to do everything you need :)

chillminx likes this.
  5. FudgeTreacle

FudgeTreacle PetForums Newbie

Hi
    Thanks for the comments.
    Now you've got me thinking......
    I hadnt thought of using excel.
    Now I know how I'm spending my weekend ahead.
    :Bookworm

Ali71 and Lilylass like this.
  6. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

A tab for each month & 1 for budget summary (where you would feed your running total for each month into) would be my starting place :)

7. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

A tab for each month sounds neat & tidy, but bookings often cross over months so not sure how it would work in practice.

How many pens? My friend manages 10 pens with a desk diary, a pencil and a rubber!

8. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Forgot to add, make sure you have an inviting website that works on phones & tablets as well as PCs. Good photos, clear text, and so on. Register the name as a domain. Also you might want to setup 'mycattery@gmail.com' and/or 'mycattery@outlook.com' email addresses. Match 'mycattery' to your domain.

Ali71 and Lilylass like this.
  9. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

Same way that a desk diary ..... you can just as easily amend bookings

Sorry not trying to be cheeky but that's confused me completely - bookings will go across months in a desk diary so there's no difference?

Excel will easily keep the costs in the same place and save having to do these separately

10. BritishBilbo

BritishBilbo I work with cats + I live with cats. I like cats.

Depends how many pens you have to look after. We use a sheet with all the pen numbers on and we block out the dates once they're booked against whichever pen. I tried to do it on the computer but we have 53 pens so it got to time consuming lol!

11. GingerNinja

GingerNinja PetForums VIP

If you decide on using Excel, there are lots of free diary/calendar templates that you can download and adapt :)

Alternatively create a table for all the information you might require, including pen numbers, dietary requirements etc and you can create a pivot table calendar as a summary that can be refreshed and used as a "view at a glance" when taking bookings.

12. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Oh that's an easy one, you'd put the booking in whichever month the stay started, if you were using a tab per month.

Of course if I was doing it, I'd probably use sheet 1 to create a 'calendar' listing each pen and the days, and then just fill the days with colour when that pen has been booked, for swift reference. I would then probably have each pen have its own sheet (rather than each sheet representing a month) and all the details of costs, income etc go on the relevant sheet.

I use Excel all the time for a wide variety of tasks, from keeping track of my cats costs, their breeding schedules, kitten growth details (including line charts for each litter (possibly my geeky side coming out)), my general finances. I even (mega sad bit here) track my dragons from a game I play, keeping tab on what level they are, how much wood, fish and iron they can collect and how much that would give me in a day if I played three times a day (yep I've worked it out to the hour!!!). :Facepalm

Oh yes I even use Excel to tell me if the names I'm picking for kittens are too long :rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice