Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cattery advice needed

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Kat74Em, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Kat74Em

Kat74Em PetForums Member

After our plan A fell through, it looks like we'll have to put Harry in a cattery when we go on holiday in June.

I've never used a cattery before so I don't really know what to look out for in order to tell a good one from a bad one. There are a few near us but only 2 have a website with photos. Of those two, only one looked nice, so I went to check it out at the weekend.

Although it was very clean and as modern as the photos suggested and the owner seemed lovely, I was quite taken aback at how little room the cats have :( I don't really know what I expected, maybe a little outside run or something, but is this the norm? Each cat had a sleeping area and an area with food, water, litter tray, toys & a cat tree. Both areas just seemed so small. Are all catteries like this?

2. Doolally

Doolally PetForums Senior

I know what you mean....they all sound nice but the ones I've seen seem like i'd be putting my cats in a shed for a week :(.
    I think i've looked at all the websites for catteries in herts, and very few seem willing to put up pictures of their pens..if I need to use one I haven't got time to check them all out so will not even bother with those who can't be bothered to put up photos
    Where is herts are you? Harpenden cat hotel looks nice. Google cat hotels and they seem nicer (bigger) than catteries.
    I'm hoping to get a cat sitter, but if I can't then i'm going to check out here as quite a lot of people I know use it http://allseasonsboardingcattery.co.uk/

#2 Doolally, Apr 11, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  3. Kat74Em

Kat74Em PetForums Member

We're in north Herts so although Harpenden is only about 15 miles away, we'd rather keep travel time as short as possible for various reasons.

I went to look at Preston Hills cat hotel which is only about 10 minutes' drive from us. It was all very nice in terms of the condition of the pens & the level of care the cats seemed to be getting, but yes, it is basically in a big shed!

4. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Hi there,

Your post brought back memories for me. It is a worry findinf a good cattery.

When my cat was only 1 years old I had to put her in a cattery for 5 days. I found the only one ( being rural Wales ) for 20 odd miles. I assumed that was how catteries were meant to be, as you discribed.. small and cold. I rung morning and night checking up on her and they did admit after day 2 my cat was not eating or drinking but not to worry!............ needless to say I belted home and picked her up..

Years later when I moved to Shropshire I had to put her in a cattery again....... I viewed over 6 catteries...... some had indoor floor heating and all the mod cons, some very basic................... which proved I had done the right thing in checking each one out............ I did put her in one which seemed a small space but it seemed more homely...

Now I live in Wilshire... I have put my cat in a cattery for 2 nights, again a very small space without a run but heated flooring and I even picked which room.... so don't be affraid to be pushy and ask for a particular room.

I now have found a dog sitter who walks my dogs twice a day and sit's in in the evening as company, she see's to my cat, guniea pigs, birds and fish... and everyone does seem very happy.. so you could also approach local dog sitters!!!! they aren't as expensive as you may think. For my lot I pay £30 per day which is pretty good.
    good luck!

5. Abster21

Abster21 PetForums Junior

I'm surprised to hear that catteries can survive if they don't offer comfortable accomodation! I must say, in Worcestershire (the only place I've used catteries) they all seem to have a standard indoor bit with a bed and food / water, then a run with sneeze guards between each one. These all have something to climb on and sharpen their claws.

6. ejrogers

ejrogers PetForums Member

Hi,

I also have the same problem as you - we are going away for 10 days at the end of May and because family and friends are coming with us (as we're going to get married) there is nobody to look after our cat.
    So we viewed a lot of different catteries and some are better than others but generally most are not very nice - very small, no outside run, some cold and just very boring for the cat.
    We have eventually found the one below, I'm not sure how far this would be for you but I would highly recommend it. It is in Welwyn Garden City which is an hour from where we live but its worth it. Its the nicest cat hotel we have seen (and we have seen a lot) and the owner is lovely - she really cares about the cats, gets to know their names and individual personalities, and the pens are the most spacious I have seen, with an indoor bit and an outside bit with a ceiling height cat tree in each.

It may not help you, but if not keep looking - its worth looking around to find a better one..

Good luck

Cattery Hertfordshire | Cattery Welwyn Garden City | Longcroft Luxury Cat Hotel

7. dalestorm

dalestorm PetForums Member

wish that was closer to us. Been looking at ones closer to us, although most seem heated they all are just a small shed with a bit of a run and no homely, comortable feel to them. Is this the standard?

8. Kat74Em

Kat74Em PetForums Member

Having major net problems lately but I've managed to take a look at the links you peeps kindly suggested.

Longcroft would only be about 20 minutes from us. It looks very swanky and it seems like the cats have a nice outside view, but the pens look roughly the same size as the ones at Preston Hills and I think it's the space issue that I was most bothered by.

If that's as big as it gets then I'm thinking we'll go with the shortest drive. Plus Preston Hills will feed Harry whatever we request, which is handy as he's such a fussy boy :rolleyes:

I'd rather not put him in 'prison' but I think I'd worry more if we got a cat sitter, as he'd be left alone for much longer periods than he's used to.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice