Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cats with diarrhoea

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by ClaireJ, Oct 9, 2019.

1. ClaireJ

ClaireJ PetForums Junior

Hi, desperate for some help please!

We have 2 cats, theo and loki who are indoor only cats.
    On saturday theo started with nasty diarrhoea - we lost count at 9 and eventually it turned into liquid. By Sunday he was off his food and not his usual self, late afternoon he started vomiting and we took him to emergency vet who gave him probiotic paste and a stomach medicine and said its probably a tummy bug. That same night a couple hours later his brother started vomiting and later developed the runs too, initially we thought maybe stress but by Tuesday both had the runs still (no more being sick) so we took them to the vets. Again, suspected stomach bug with theo maybe passing it onto loki. They got anti nausea jab and pro biotic capsule to sprinkle in their food...the paste was impossible. If no improvement in a week go back.
    Here lies my questions. They have had at least 7 poos each today, still very loose so we're concerned still.
    They're bloomin fussy so wont eat the vet food or any chicken i cook so having the usual felix just to get moisture in them.
    I cant get the probiotic in them either! So far ive tried putting it in chicken, ham, licks-licks treats and tuna water...they suss it straight away! Any suggestions?

We're up at all hours cleaning litter trays and knackered. The boys dont seem to be improving much so any help or advice would be appreciated! X

2. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Sounds nasty, could you try boiled white fish instead of chicken? My cats always prefer it if they feel unwell, they like the flaky texture and find it easier than chunky chicken. I would ditch the Felix and just feed boiled fish for the next couple of days. Hope they show some improvement soon.

3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi @ClaireJ, I am sorry to hear your boys are unwell with tummy bugs.

They need to be on a bland diet to give their bowels a chance to rest. Home cooked chicken drumsticks are usually the answer but if they won't eat that, then I advise trying them with poached white fish which is very soothing to the bowel. Tesco sells packets of frozen raw pollock (packeted as White Fillets of fish) which are popular with cats.

To cook the fish from frozen, place a piece on a large plate with several tablespoons of water as stock. Cover it, then cook on the hob over a saucepan of boiling water for 10 to 15 mins. Some people microwave it. Serve chopped up with plenty of the cooking stock (juices).

Treaclesmum likes this.
  4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

The bland diet should stop the diarrhoea and they may not pass any stools for several days. When they pass a normal looking formed stool, start transferring them slowly back to a cat food diet. Wet food only, no treats. :)

5. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Didn't the vet do blood work? I'd be concerned they've gotten into something toxic.

They should also get fluids at the vet, they must be terribly dehydrated by now.

6. ClaireJ

ClaireJ PetForums Junior

@Treaclesmum i tried cod but that failed too!

@chillminx I'll have a go cooking it like that, i boiled the chicken on monday but again wouldnt touch it. Wilk give it another go. They're just so fussy its a battle between them getting nothing or something but bland food would be my preferance too.

@lorilu i dont think they are, they have been drinking water and eating very small amounts so it seems to have helped.

Treaclesmum likes this.
  7. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@ClaireJ - mine won't touch boiled chicken, but they love it pot-roasted in the oven, as follows:

Grease a roasting pan, add the drumsticks, and about 2 cms of water. Cover tightly with baking foil, cook on top shelf, gas mark 5 for 1 hour. Drain off the cooking liquid (stock) into a heat proof bowl or jug, cool and refrigerate overnight, then skim off the fat and save. Use the remaining liquid or jelly to add to the chicken meals. Serve the chicken finely chopped and with some of the reheated chicken jelly.

Mine also prefer white fish poached on the hob, in preference to microwaved. :) I find poaching the fish enhances the flavour more than microwaving it.

8. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

One tip about chicken, roasted or poached...don't feed chunks, feed slivers. Keep them moist from the broth.

9. Chris Slinn

Chris Slinn PetForums Newbie

I would ask your vet to take a fecal sample. One of my cats had bad diarrhea for a couple of weeks and nothing seemed to work so I took a sample to the vets. After a fecal test was done she was diagnosed with giardiasis.

It's a single cell parasite that sits in the lower intestine and is passed quickly between animals (if one has it it's likely they all will), especially is they share litter trays / bowels etc. One of the symptoms is sudden onset of diarrhea. Its very easy for the vet to check for it and confirm.

My two are in for treatment for it tomorrow :Nailbiting

lorilu likes this.
  10. ClaireJ

ClaireJ PetForums Junior

Maybe ive been going wrong just roasting chicken breasts!

Ive got drumsticks and white fish so will cook as per instructions when i get home. Fingers crossed the little fusspots go with it!

At this point ive nearly given up on the probiotic!

@Chris Slinn if it hasnt got better by tuesday we'd do that. Because ours are house cats and not running a fever they think its more likely a tummy bug at the moment. Hope all goes ok for your guys.

11. ClaireJ

ClaireJ PetForums Junior

So tonight ive poached white fish and cooked chicken drumsticks. They won't touch either of them! So just to get something into them ive had to go with felix. Good news is no diarrhoea so far today, they seem perkier and getting appetite back so fingers crosses they're on the mend!

Minuscule and lorilu like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice