Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cats with a Sweet Tooth???

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by MoggyBaby, Mar 31, 2011.

1. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Can anyone explain why Oscar has got a VERY sweet tooth? I always believed this to be unusual in cats but both of mine have expressed a fondness for the things they should not have. Oscar, however, is really bad to the point of obsessive. He is about 1 step away from killing the OH when he has white chocolate mice. (Yeah, I know mice..... :D ), he has been known to help himself to chocolate muffins (normal brown chocolate) and if you are eating a bit of cake, he is on your lap trying to have a nibble at the other side!! :eek: He will even paw at you to try and get a bit from you.

Merson has a soft spot for a ring donut (no other donut will do!!) but really doesn't show any penchant for anything else and is nowhere near as bad as Oscar.

So the question is, why on earth would cats have a sugar liking and does anyone else have a similar thing with theirs.

(To avoid lectures, I don't feed these things to my cats except on the VERY rarest of occasions, the rare occasion merits a tiny crumb, and a vet told me it was ok as long as it WAS very infrequent which it is.)

2. Jenny1966

Jenny1966 PetForums VIP

:) I have one just like that!! Molly will do anything for the last lick of an ice cream! And if I catch my OH giving her some hot cross bun once more he will get a slap!! :nono: And he shares his bran flakes with her in the morning!! What hope have I got :)

3. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Simba will near enough break his neck trying to get at cream on those little trifle pots :rolleyes: our old tuxedo cat loved maltesers :lol:

4. Vampyria

Vampyria PetForums VIP

Locke takes an interest in chocolate muffins, cakes and doughnuts as well! He doesn't get any, but I wonder if its not the sugar content, but what these tasty foods are made up of? I can understand cream and ice cream - they are chock full of fat which to a cat I imagine is quite scrummy :D many cakes have been made with eggs (protein) and possibly milk (fat) too, so I wonder if the cats can actually smell these things which is what makes them go utterly potty?

Not sure if this is true, but I have read on many occasions that cats cannot taste sugar at all, they never evolved that particular taste palette :)

Or, cats are just strange :D Locke likes jam, which throws my theory out the window :lol:

#4 Vampyria, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  5. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

There is a lot of sense in what you say & I too was of the understanding that they can't taste sugar but, if it is the eggs, fat & milk that floats his boat, why does he not bother me at all when I have a cheese omlette??? :confused: :confused:

6. GreyHare

GreyHare Guest

I think the reason why they drink antifreeze is because it's sweet or smells sweet, I know my childhood cat loved cornflakes and sugar puffs, and my beloved Macavity cat ate a whole packet of fig roll the effects were not good :eek:

7. Vampyria

Vampyria PetForums VIP

I think cats are just odd, then :D I edited my post saying that Locke likes jam, which is neither full of fat or protein as far as I'm aware, so I guess cats just like to keep us human owners guessing :D

8. Lil Dee

Lil Dee PetForums Junior

Not quite the same subject, but, when I was a child, I had two persians. Both of them loved.......wait for it.....

Green Olives in brine :eek:

We found out when we had a wee party, and we'd left the open jar of olives on the side in the kitchen. We came in to find Bluey (guess what colour he was !) with his paw in the jar, whilst Holly sat next to him desperately trying to barge her way in :D

After that, I used to share. There's only so long you can refuse a determined cat.....

9. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

apprently more and more cats over the years are getting a 'sweet tooth' due to diet they are now having, lots of additives, people feeding them human food etc.

One of mine also has a 'sweet tooth' they reckon years down the line more and more cats will want to eat more and more sweet items!

10. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Basil is a greedy boy & loves anything but Winnie loves trifle. She can tell when we are opening one by the snap of the plastic lid coming off - no idea how she determine this against other ones.

She will literally try & mug us for it. Unlucky for her that I am a greedy chops & NO ONE gets my pudding! ;)

11. GreyHare

GreyHare Guest

Monty goes crazy for vanilla actimel in the morning, I shut myself in the larder in order to drink it without get the eyes and meow and little reaching paw :D

12. pinkfluffyballs

pinkfluffyballs PetForums Member

I had a bowl of frosties and came back to find Eric drinking the leftover sugary milk!

He also has been known to try and drink cold cups of milky sugary tea when i'm not looking!

13. Dante

Dante PetForums VIP

Schrodinger has some weird obsession with Hot Chocolate.. I hate the variety where you just add boiling water, but my OH drinks it now and then and Schrodes just stuck his nose in and snorted it EVERYWHERE the first time he came across it :D

Has tried to do the same every time since, but we've obviously cottoned on :p

Baked beans are another one.. Savoury I know but still very sweet.

14. Myanimalmadhouse

Myanimalmadhouse PetForums VIP

Gizmo refuses to eat ANY sort of wet catfood - but he'll go mental for sweetcorn! He also loves his weetabix in the morning :tongue_smilie:

15. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Reading this reminded me that Merson DOES have something that he will try to fight me for - Horlicks!!!!!! :eek: :eek:

If I have a cup of this - proper stuff made with milk - he sits on the arm of the sofa next to me and quite literally head-butts me so that he can try to get some. I always have to leave a wee tiny dribble in the bottom which he will then sook off his paw. It's very cute to watch but when I used to see the Horlicks ad on the tv where they tell you it will "Unwind & relax you" I used to mutter "Not in this bloody house it don't!!!" :mad:

16. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

I didn't have anything to add to this until I got home at 6pm today. Before work I picked up some pancakes from the bakers. Left them in a bag on the side. Came home to half the pancakes eaten :mad: I would have blamed OH but I can't see why he'd just eat the edges off all 6 and spit out pieces of plastic bag around the floor

17. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Well, those OH's do some funny thing chuck.. I think it would be VERY unfair to blame this on the moggsters.... :D :D :D

18. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

Maybe he did it as an April Fools thinking I would blame the cats :confused: Or the cats did it as an April Fools thinking I would blame OH..... I give up

19. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

Elvis seems to like fruit, i have to put my apples in the fridge because Elvis likes to munch on them, i would find lots of cat bite marks on the apples in the fuit bowl. He also goes crazy if you have anything with cream or milk i have to fight him off with both arms and legs just to eat my cereal in peace :D come to think of it there isnt much that Elvis doesnt like to eat :D

20. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

this made me pmsl :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice