Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cats vs oven cleaning and gas inspection

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Tawny75, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Tawny75

Tawny75 PetForums VIP

Hello wonderful hive mind of Cat-Chat

Tomorrow afternoon, I have a chap coming to clean my oven and the gas man coming to inspect my boiler. At the moment Severus has developed an annoying habit of jumping on the backs of people when they are stood in the kitchen, we are working to cure him of this however, I do not want him launching himself at the gas man. Also with the chemicals that will be used to clean the oven, I would rather both of them were not around while the oven is being cleaned, we don't have a door to our kitchen so we can't shut the oven man in there and my boiler is in the airing cupboard at the top of the stairs so I can't shut the gas man off either..

Now, in my study upstairs, there is already a litter tray and their upstairs water bowl. Do you think if I put in some food it would be okay to shut them in there for a couple of hours while I am having the work done?

Thank you muchly

huckybuck and ewelsh like this.
  2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Of course. And they don't need the food in there unless it is their regular meal time. Just shut them up and keep them safe. They'll be fine. Don't be tempted to open the door to check on them either, or you might risk an escapee.

chillminx, Lurcherlad and Tawny75 like this.
  3. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Yes pop the little terrors in your study for a while, it will only take an hour tops :D

Tawny75 likes this.
  4. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

They will be fine. Probably love the excuse for a good mooch around unsupervised.

Tawny75 likes this.
  5. NFC slave

NFC slave PetForums Senior

They will be fine, better that than being black listed by he boiler man and the oven cleaner,if they have a tray etc in the study already the have obviously been in there before so I can't see any problem

Tawny75 likes this.
  6. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

They'll be fine:). You might not be though as you strrrraaain to listen to what, if anything, is happening in the study:D

chillminx, Tawny75 and lorilu like this.
  7. Willow_Warren

Willow_Warren PetForums VIP

He.. he... good luck and be strong (because the kitties no doubt will be fine)

Tawny75 likes this.
  8. Tawny75

Tawny75 PetForums VIP

Thank you all, I shall report how they get on...lol

9. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

I shouldn't laugh but have had this with Huck when he was young - he was forever jumping on people's backs!!

Mine are used to the oven man now and don't like the smell or noise he makes so I can let them be around, although he does tend to use wire scourers which leave tiny bits that get everywhere - so I like to keep the kids out of the way until I've vacuumed up after.

Turn the study into a cat creche and they will be fine!!!

Emmasian and Tawny75 like this.
  10. Tawny75

Tawny75 PetForums VIP

Well the oven man is here and they are safely shut in the study, nothing seems to be on fire yet...

huckybuck and NFC slave like this.
  11. Tawny75

Tawny75 PetForums VIP

All was okay. After the oven man left I went in and they were both asleep on the chairs. They are now both asleep on my chair. Sev by my feet and Lily on the back.
    MVIMG_20190215_145359.jpg MVIMG_20190215_145337.jpg

12. Ringypie

Ringypie PetForums VIP

That’s good - ours get shut in our bedroom from time to time if something is going on that isn’t safe for them to be around. The siameses are usually a bit disgruntled as they like to supervise but better that than them escaping!

Tawny75 likes this.
  13. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

My bedroom had a screen door installed on the opposite side of the regular door. I hook that shut so they can see and hear what's going on, if they want to, or hide away if they want to do that.

Tawny75 likes this.
  14. Emmasian

Emmasian PetForums VIP

It's probably as well to lock them up for their own sake, plus you never know if someone is scared of cats.

Rafa once terrorised a boiler man by climbing into his tool box and settling down to watch. The poor man had to shout down to me about the "massive ginger cat blocking access to his tools". Obviously I know how sweet Rafa is so I called up to just lift him out, but the guy was like "Ooh no, it's HUGE and STARING at me". As I want to keep this guy onside as he is vg at his job, I went and extracted a rather oily Rafa and locked him in my bedroom.

15. Ringypie

Ringypie PetForums VIP

Oh how funny! They do seem to know when people are wary / don’t like (how can that be a thing??) cats don’t they? Flint makes a point of giving extra fuss or sitting on them!

16. Willow_Warren

Willow_Warren PetForums VIP

Well many years ago my dad had the accountant round, papers all over the dining room table with a fluffy ginger cat sprawled on top! That cat always seemed to know where he wasn’t meant to be :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice