Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat's Vomiting After Feeding

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by AlphaPets, Feb 4, 2008.

1. AlphaPets

AlphaPets PetForums Newbie

Dear All,

On occasions my two cats will vomit after feeding, they eat and drink regularly and appear healthy in every other respect. Please can you advise?

Thanks

:(

2. petforum

petforum Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi,

What kind of food are you feeding them when they vomit ?

Mark

3. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

Check they have been wormed properly too. :)

4. AlphaPets

AlphaPets PetForums Newbie

It does not seem to matter what I feed them, it can be either IAM's or Whisker's dried food or wet food. Fed twice daily and not excessive amounts

:confused:

5. Siamese Kelly

Siamese Kelly PetForums VIP

Maybe change their diet to a light diet of white fish/chicken for now as Iams and Whiskas though great foods-don't suit every cat as they are both very rich and can be too rich for some cats or it can be that they're piggin' out so much and so fast at meal times that this is why they throw up after each meal. If you don't already try feeding them at separate ends of the room or in different rooms and see how they go coz you don't always hear whats being whispered at the food bowl and this could be making either or both anxious when they're eating and thats why they're rushing food down as fast as possible and then they're vomiting. Good luck Alphapets and do let us know how you and they get on:)

6. Esined

Esined PetForums VIP

had a cat years ago who couldnt keep his food down, he was not entire but i had a queen who was and attracted toms, so we and the vets put it down to stress, he continued to vomit after feeds so the vet treated him for stomach ulcers, still it continued by now he was looking a bit thin, so they treated him for fur balls, still he continued to vomit so as a last resort they gave him a course of anti-biotics and hey pressto....... was back to his old self:mad:

7. Rubyshoes

Rubyshoes PetForums Newbie

Hi,
    My cat used to vomit a lot after feeding (huge pain as she's on meds twice a day!). The I put this down to her eating way too fast and too much as she gets very hungry (she's hyperthyroid). We have to feed her VERY gradually ie 1/4 sachet then leave it 30 mins, then another little bit. This drives her nuts but if we feed her more she will almost certainly vomit

Maybe try feeding your cat in very small quantities and see if that helps. Hope your cat gets better v soon.

8. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue PetForums VIP

9. Vampyria

Vampyria PetForums VIP

The vomiting could be caused by a number of things. Have they been wormed recently? Vomiting up food could be caused by ringworms.

They could be eating too quickly or too much; cats have relatively small stomachs but this doesn't stop them from wolfing down food :D you could try feeding them less each mealtime, but increasing the number of mealtimes. My 7 month old kitten is fed six times a day :eek: and each meal time he is fed half a pouch of food as he eats fast and tends to get the hiccups if he eats too much all in one go, bless him.

Another reason could be the food itself. There could be something within the food that doesn't agree with your cats' systems. IAMs and Whiskas aren't particularly high in meat content, so maybe try something higher in meat such as Applaws, HiLfe, Burns, Pets at Home Complete and Purely ranges if they are within budget. There are more but that's all I can think of off the top of my head. All these foods, as far as I'm aware, have no grains in them. Grain/maize/corn are not easily digested by cats (yet many cat foods have high quantities of these in them, particularly in low quality dry and prescription food), which could be another cause for the vomiting.

I've heard that feeding chicken or cooked white fish is an excellent way of settling a cat's stomach.

Best of luck with your cats :D I hope they get better soon!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice