Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cats travelling

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by witchyone, Nov 27, 2012.

1. witchyone

witchyone PetForums VIP

At long last my house sale has gone through and will be moving out in a weeks time.

Apart from all the stress this has given me i am a bit worried about how well the girls will travel. They have only done short journeys before to the cattery but this is the best part of a 200 mile journey.

My plan at the moment is to spray Feliway in their carriers on the fleeces i will put in there and also put some clothing i have worn in with them so they might feel a little less stressed.

I shall make sure they have access to water and litter tray before we go and just give them a small amount of food an hour or so before we leave.

Any other ideas ?

Also i am not looking forward to getting Holly into the carrier as she puts up quite a fight,partly my fault for not letting her get used to it without there being either a trip to the vets or cattery that she associates it with.

2. groundhogdaze

groundhogdaze PetForums Member

Might be an idea to put them in the cattery the day before the removal men arrive as mine got a bit stressed when we moved house - they can sense change before it happens. At least you'll have done something to reduce their stress by not having to lock them in a room with a lot of strange noise in the house before shunting them into carriers and a car. Can't help with tips for the journey I'm afraid as never done that long with a cat. Good luck.

3. smiler84

smiler84 PetForums VIP

mine makes the 150 mile journey to my parents fairly regularly. we've gone about once every month and a half since i got him so he's used to it and doesn't bat an eyelid at it.

one thing i would advise though is not to feed them for a few hours beforehand, as otherwise mine used to get travel sick. if we're going first thing in the morning i don't give him his breakfast, or if we're travelling in the evening i don't feed him after lunch. obviously have water available though.

4. witchyone

witchyone PetForums VIP

Thanks for the advice. Might be best that i dont feed them anything before the journey then.Dont want ikky tummies en route :(

5. smiler84

smiler84 PetForums VIP

it seems to work with mine anyway! he's so used to it now that he's curled up asleep before we get to the end of the road!

also make sure the car doesn't get too stuffy and make sure their carriers are well strapped down so that they're not sliding around. basically if you think what you'd do with a travel sick child then you shouldn't go far wrong!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice