Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cats scratching furniture!!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by morven, Mar 26, 2011.

1. morven

morven PetForums Newbie

My cat won't stop scratching my leather sofa...I have tried everything....she is an indoor/outdoor cat ...I keep her nails trimmed but she still scratches...I have several scratching posts and she ignores them all!! HELP

2. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

Hi hen and welcome

have you tried an anti scratching spray?

You could try feeding her treats and playing with her by the posts so she gets used to them

Also, if you want something a bit more natural, cats tend not to like the smell of citrus, like orange and lemon, so you could try rubbing your furniture with one - not sure what it'd do to the leather mind :eek:

Em
    xx

3. alisondalziel

alisondalziel PetForums VIP

Try catnip spray on the scratching posts and rub her paws on them to encourage her to use them.

When you see her scratching what she isn't supposed to you could make some sort of loud sound to scare her off, such as a loud clapping, or a bottle containing dry peas shaken.

After once or twice i'm sure you will find she will stop. :)

4. KirstyLouise

KirstyLouise PetForums Member

I had this with mine jumping on the sofa too. Everytime they did it i would pull them away and tap there nose and shout no it took about a week to do it with them both but now they are as good as gold :)

5. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

I found citronella spray really helps too... the look of disgust they give the surface it's on... priceless :lol:

6. IzzyTwig

IzzyTwig PetForums Senior

I've draped a piece of fabric over the bit of the sofa which my cat decided was a lovely scratching area, she now doesn't touch it with her claws, just sleeps on it. I also covered her scratching posts with catnip and lots of treats which seems to have got the message through. If I see her using the scratching post I'll always reward her.

I find the best way to discourage her when she's caught in the act scratching something she's not supposed to is to hiss like another cat. She soon stops and runs off and doesn't tend to repeat the behaviour.

7. Kraken

Kraken PetForums Junior

My cat Harry, gone 18 months ago, sadly, ruined a £2000 Wilton carpet before I realised what was happening to it. The only scratching he'd done in the house before that was an old chair but as soon as I had the new carpet laid he was at it at night. Scratch, scratch, scratch. I looked at the marks but it was too late before I released the cause, and now there's no way I can afford to replace it. It was a once in a generation thing!
    Cat Rosie, gone some weeks ago, happily used a scratching post and, occasionally, my legs.
    No more cats now though not for that reason. I miss 'em loads.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice