Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cats run off !

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by marsaday, Apr 13, 2011.

1. marsaday

marsaday PetForums Junior

We have 2 new cats from the rspca and this morning one got out the cat flap and into the conservatory. He then got out into the garden and disappeared. We opened the back door and his brother could tell something was not right and so he came downstairs and ran out. he sprinted away into the neighbours garden.

Apparently these cats lived a bit wild before they were at the rscpa and they have been there for 11 mths. They have been at our house for one week now and have basically stayed in a corner of our bedroom.

I have been to the neighbours gardens, done an email and will call the rspca at 11am when they open.

Is there anything else i should do ? Will they come back ?

2. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

How long have you had them. Is this their first time outdoors at your place?

3. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

The OP has said the cats have been with them for one week. No mention though of any previous outdoor excursions.

4. Amin

Amin PetForums VIP

I would call the rspca as soon as you can. I hope they come back to you.

5. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

I hope they come back as well, it horrible feeling x

6. marsaday

This is their first time out in 7 days.

I called the rspca and they say they are probably close by and wait.

They are chipped, so all we can do is wait. Worrying though.

7. codyann

codyann PetForums Senior

they is no reason why they wont come back if they have been at yours for a week, when i moved into my new place and i took my cat i left the kitchen window open very slightly and she managed to get out after her only being there about 3 days but she did come back, and is now a great house cat :D
    was you planning on letting them out in teh 1st place or them being house cats?
    itry shaking there buiscuits and calling them?or if they are on wet food tapping the tin with a fork that worked for tiggs. hope they come back soon :D

8. NEW2CATS

NEW2CATS PetForums VIP

yes shaking biscuits worked when my house cat billy got out!

or try putting out some tuna as it has a strong smell and might tempt them back!

9. marsaday

Yes they were to go out eventually.

I have spotted one in the neighbours but one garden. i got to him to stroke him and he ran off. cant find him again.

10. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Well the good news is that they have stayed close to home. They are probably having a good old nose around the immediate area, followed by a snooze under a bush because all the sniffing & 'sploring is hard work.

They'll soon wander back in when they are hungry I'm sure. Cats ain't so daft. Why hunt for food when some big softy human us gonna literally hand it to you on a plate??? :) :)

Please keep us updated. :)

11. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

if you have a cat flap and you want them to go out eventually why are you so worried? How long have they been gone now? its not unusual for outdoor cats to be gone all day and come home for dinner. im sure they are fine having the time of their lives exploring their new territory. :)

12. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

what time do you usually feed them, my cats no exactly when its tea time,:) i would get there food ready, and go out the garden and call them and bang their food dishes or rattle the food bag,:) fingers crossed they come home soon, i guess your nervous because you havent had them long and you dont yet know them very well,i do hope they come home before dark.xxx

13. marsaday

One came home and stayed on the bed with us last night, but he went early and is out again. The other hasnt come home, but has been seen as well.

We havent got into a routine of feeding these cats as they didnt seem to eat much (nerves of being in a new home). So we dont have a feeding time for them which is worrying.

anyway i will see how tonight goes, but it looks like these cats are extreme outdoors types

14. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Delighted to hear that you have seen both of them and that one now seems to know where home is.

Had it been me, however, I think I would have been inclined to keep the returning one in the house, just for a bit longer, to see if that would entice the other one back.

What are you plans should they both come in later - are you happy to let them just come & go as they please or are you considering trying to keep them indoors a while in the hope of 'taming' their outdoor spirit?

15. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

i am really glad one came home and spent the night at home, and i am glad the other has been spotted not to far away, hopefully when it gets hungry it will come home for some food to :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice