UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have much expereince seeing cats play together before and our 2 are only in the last week or so beginning toplay more together. Today I saw Orion run at Luna, grip herback with his teeth, hold her down and she then hit her paw across his face and ran off. They did this during a playing sessions...not sure whether this was also a type of play or whether Orion is trying to assert himself more (we had Luna first so she thinks herself as boss!) There was nothing vicious or no hissing/ ears back/ slit eyes etc

·
Registered
29,781 Posts
Orion, as a male, was exhibiting dominant behaviour to Luna, just as he would if he wanted to mate with her. Luna was having none of it, so swiped him and ran off!

Have the cats been neutered and spayed?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes they have both been done in the past few weeks...Luna often sniffs his bottom (!) and he tolerate it haha but when he sniffs hers she moves away or swipes him with her paw! :p

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Today he has been doing this quite a lot. the minute Lunas back is turned he just jumps her, holds her down, sometimes by biting the scurff of her neck, sometimes he grooms her back/ neck. he mounts his body over hers but no attempt to try and mate etc. She sometimes tolerates it for a few mins then whacks him off. Sometimes he holds his stance and they stare each other down ears back and standing still...then she miaowed and whacked him and he ran off...

?!?!

·
Registered
29,781 Posts
It sounds like part of dominating/mating behaviour from the male cat, and this may continue for some while, as he has only been neutered fairly recently.

But some neutered male cats continue to exhibit this kind of *mounting* behaviour with their companion female cat all their lives, though of course with no *end result* as they are infertile.

Luna probably thinks Orion is just playing a bit roughly with her.
I shouldn't worry. :)

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
My two play a bit like that,both spayed females. Dora is the dominant one and will pin Holly down by her neck. if things get a bit rough i have words with Dora but Holly comes back for more,sometimes she is the one that instigates it.Holly just bops Dora on the head then runs off and teases her.

i wouldnt worry,if it was a full blown fight you would know about it. My girls play fights are so funny.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hope it stays playful...hes been doing it constantly, this morning she just ran at her when she was walking away, grabbed her by the scruff, tried to get his leg over (so to speak!) then licked her neck a bit. She finally turned over onto her back and let him know she wasn't having any of it!! Its thefighting 'miaowing' that worries me, probably sounds worse than it is!!

Other than that, they are happy enough to sleep near one another (not touching though) and eat together/ share bowls!

I was wondering whether diet could change behavior, as I am giving more and more raw now, could it change their behavior to become more 'wild' if thats possible?

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
My cats Leo and Susie are litter mates and both "done". They are 18 months old and he still mounts her and she swipes him! Its quite funny really but there is never any real malice or cause for concern. One minute she is slapping him across his face and the next minute he's on top of her grooming away and she loves it..... then another swipe! Hey Ho! Cats :rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.