Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cats Playing.....or Fighting???

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Misog2000, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Misog2000

Misog2000 PetForums Newbie

I have two indoor cats, they are both neutered and have lived together for 4 years now. They have always played rough, but didn't injure each other, no growling or hissing and taking it in turns to start it.

Over the last couple of months I have stated noticing clumps of hair around the house and it has become clear that the male cat is ripping out lumps of the females fur, there is still no hissing or growling, and she still seems to instigate the playing a lot of the time but when he pulls out the fur it leaves big raw patches that look very sore (pic below), so I need to stop him doing it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I really don't know what to do with the pair of them, as they do get along really well most of the time, so splitting them up seems mean, but I can't have her keep getting hurt.

Attached Files:

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi Misog, welcome to the forum:)

Can I ask if you are certain your male cat is ripping out the lumps of fur, and the female is not doing it to herself? I mean, have you witnessed the male cat doing it? If so, I am surprised your female wants to go anywhere near him!

I thought there was a slight possibility your female is over grooming herself, but tbh it is fairly unlikely she would pull out whole clumps of fur, as usually when cats over groom they lick the same place again and again until they have thinned or removed the fur and then they lick the skin until it bleeds. Different scenario to what you describe.

If it is definitely the male cat who is to blame, I am not sure what you can do other than keep the cats separate when you are not there to supervise them constantly. The male cat's behaviour is territorial, and basically he is trying to dominate the female cat, maybe even push her out of the home, so he can have the place to himself.

Your female cat must be feeling very stressed that she is being attacked so viciously in her own home. :(

You could try running some Feliway diffusers around the house to see if that helps. They contain cat pheromones which are soothing to cats. You can buy them from amazon or ebay. You would need them switched on 24/7 and should give it a month or so to see improvements.

Also, try a course of Zylkene for the female cat. It is a supplement (not a drug) for calming stressed out cats, and increasing confidence. Maybe if the female could stand up to the male a bit more he would not dare attack her.

I think in your circumstances it would be useful to have an animal behaviourist come to your house and observe the two cats together. You can ask your vet to refer you to someone good, and you may only need the one visit, so it would not be too expensive (around £60 or £70 maybe).

Best of luck. Would love to hear how things go.:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice