Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

cats on leads?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by alan g a, Mar 30, 2011.

1. alan g a

alan g a Hello ev'ry body peeps. Stavross 'ere init.

My friend bought a coller and lead for her CAT !! She even took it on a trip to the New Forest. I'm not sure that this is a good idea.
    What do you think.

2. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

I don't think its a bad idea.To be honest i'm suprised more people don't do the same.:D

3. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

I think much of it can depend on the nature of the cat tbh.

My very first ever cat, Sukey, was extremely docile and I used to put a lead on her and then carry her around town, just under my jacket, in the crook of my elbow! When I say town, I mean Glasgow city centre!! This even included trips on the bus! She was quite content and would just curl up & go to sleep there. :eek: As I say, she was my first cat - I had grown up with dogs - so I was none the wiser at the time that you couldn't really treat a cat the same way you would a dog. It would seem that neither was she! :)

I would suggest to your friend that she exchange the collar for a proper harness - just in case the cat gets spooked and does try to escape. I would also ensure that Tiddles is chipped to be on the very safe side.

Other than that, I think if your friend is comfortable with this, uses her common sense by avoiding paths that are popular with dog walkers, runners etc and the cat seems relaxed about it, I wouldn't overly worry.

We all know our cats best & know what they will & won't like.

4. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

I would love to do this but Merson is way too much of the proverbial scaredy cat and Oscar is just SO darn lazy that a trip to the bottom of the garden requires the kiss of life!!! :D

5. MaineCoonMommy

MaineCoonMommy PetForums Member

We considered getting one of those vest style harnesses for Minoush, but to be honest we worried that he'd become an outdoor junkie and we don't want that lol.

6. Steverags

Steverags International Man of Mystery

We've got 2 harnesses for the cats when we take them too the London Pet show.

7. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

I had a harness & lead for our old MC :001_wub: he used to wear it when he was on his PAT cat duties & was fine :D nothing like walking a dog mind :crazy:

8. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

I wouldn't take the cat out without a harness, as they're expert at slipping out of collars! i know people who successfully walk with their cats, so it doesn't surprise me to hear that your friend is doing this. Long may it continue!

9. In a safe area i'd say it was ok to do so but not anywhere where your likely to bump into a dog. That would be plain stupid. I think a harness would be a better choice though as like someone else has said it may slip the collar.

10. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

My girl goes out on her harness every day. I'd never use a collar because they're far too easy to escape from but we enjoy our walks up and down the lane. I use a long extending lead so that she can explore. My husband actually suggested this morning that I should take her to the Forest as she probably enjoy it.

11. Dozymoo

Dozymoo PetForums VIP

We used to take Cleo out in the garden daily on a harness and lead, but now we have the cat pen, she takes herself outside whenever she wants. x

12. lymorelynn

Staff Member

I'm working on my DH to get a pen put in the garden ;)

13. Dozymoo

Dozymoo PetForums VIP

I can't tell you how handy it's been! Ours is like a mesh conservatory on the back of the kitchen. The cats go in and out via the cat flap in the kitchen door! Godsend.

And it's large enough for us to have a little table and chairs and sit in there with them. £350 well spent! :D

#13 Dozymoo, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  14. raggs

raggs PetForums VIP

last year we mated our Ragdoll girl Meighan and she had two gorgeous kittens that both went to the same home, their new owners live in an apartment in outter London and take them both out on their harnesses every day, it obviously took a little while for them to get used to this idea but now they love walking on their harness and now walk along side there owners like a dog on a leash. i think its a great idea and more should practice this.best wishes.........CHRIS.

15. raggs

raggs PetForums VIP

be nice to him Lynn im sure he will give in lol.........:D:D

16. lymorelynn

Staff Member

I'm always nice to him Chris ;) :lol:
    He's retiring in a few weeks so hopefully it might get done :thumbsup:

17. raggs

raggs PetForums VIP

well dont forget the piccies when its done please.....:)

18. Viki

Viki PetForums Senior

my grandad used to have his cats on leads as they had a shared front garden bit, and we would lose them otherwise, they loved it!

Wouldn't dare take my cat out though! be twisted up in a second!

19. stoneandglass

stoneandglass PetForums Junior

I tried to start harness training Danzig when he was younger but he out grew the harness too quickly :( I've noticed some in the pet shop and I'm getting tempted to purchase one and start over :)

I should say, if you use a harness use the vest kind as I've heard cats can back out of the rope ones.

20. alan g a

alan g a Hello ev'ry body peeps. Stavross 'ere init.

Thanks everyone. You confirmed what I thought. COLLAR and lead!!! no way!! Always harness, but even then take care.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice