Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cats No Longer Gobble Down Food?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by anotheruser, Jan 3, 2012.

1. anotheruser

anotheruser PetForums Senior

So, I've been feeding my two cats (one 1 year, and the other 7 months) Andy Carney, usually one 400g tin a day between them at two different meal times. They usually gobble down the food like there is no tomorrow, it's all gone.

Dry food (Asda's Tiger) has been down all the time and is eaten.

I tried some new dry food from a place in Sheffield called Jolly's. It was a huge bag (I'm sure it's the same size as the 40ltr OKO Plus litter) but for about £8-£10. I only had that down for a few days as it was just a sample.

Since they've had that (they're back on Tiger for grazing), then their wet food hasn't been going down as quickly. The past few days they have eaten about half (so about 50g), then within the next 3 hours, they will eat the rest. It's the same at both meal times.

I used to feed them about 6am, then again between 6pm and 8pm. They would wake me up in the morning for food. They no longer do this and I feed them more between 8am and 10am, then between 6pm and 8pm.

Has the change in feeding schedule encouraged them to not gobble down all their food like usual?
    Are they just remembering that they can eat less at the off and eat more later on?
    Was the big bag food really bad for them, so they saved their wet food to graze on in the day?

I am just puzzled as to why this has started happening. I don't mind as it's almost a step to feeding them wet only.

Thanks

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Who knows - your guess is as good as mine.

3. Heybunny

Heybunny PetForums Member

I'm absolutely no expert on this at all, but maybe they're at that point where they just don't want to eat food as much anymore? I think it happens around 10 months-1 year old? I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will be along soon. My last kitten-1 year old cat was when I was 5. :p

Also, do you mean the Jolleys at Meadowhall Retail Park? I was just there before Christmas! :D I got mine a Catit fountain for Xmas. ^^ I was hoping to see some food like Bozita randomly, but no such luck. :eek:

4. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

The better quality dry food they get, the less wet food they will need. Asda Tiger dry food is probably quite an average supermarket brand dry food, therefore the Carney would've had a much higher meat content - no wonder they preferred it! I don't know what the new dry food is like, but sounds like it's better for them, so they need to eat less wet to get all the meat they need :D

5. anotheruser

anotheruser PetForums Senior

That'll probably be the one :)
    As I don't live near, I may have to email or telephone to get the details of the dry food. If it IS much better for them, then that's great!

6. spid

spid PetForums VIP

However, event he best dry isn't as good for cats as the lowest quality wet. So reverse this logic. The better quality wet they get the less dry they need - then you get a healthier cat. Probably the better quality food is filling them up more as they aren't having to poop most of it back out so they are full for longer and therefore, don't need to eat with such voraciousness.

7. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Why would you want to give any dry food in preference to a good quality wet :confused:,you are aware that wet food is so much better for cats.

Back to speed typing school for buffie

#7 buffie, Jan 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  8. Izzie

Izzie PetForums Senior

I think we can safely conclude that at £8 for a bag the size of 40ltrs of litter, that its not likely to contain the best quality ingredients available. Most likely full of cheap fillers and very little meat.

MoggyBaby likes this.
  9. Treaclesmum

I just meant, the better quality food of any type, the less extra they will need to eat. Maybe wet is better, but when you have a kitten who can hardly eat any of it without hurting his teeth, you tend to look on dry as a good thing :)

10. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

The best post on this thread!!!! :thumbsup:

11. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

:confused:Are you saying that your kitten cant eat wet food because it gives him a sore mouth,or is it dry.Either way something is not right if that is the case.

12. Treaclesmum

Yes he can't eat much wet food except pate-style at the moment because it gives him a sore mouth. The vet has seen him, he has some loose baby teeth including one of his front fangs with the adult fang coming right next to it, therefore he finds small kibbles much easier to pick up and eat. Many kittens have the same problem.

13. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Really :confused:Never had that problem with any of my kittens.

14. Treaclesmum

He is the first cat I've had which has this problem, but he has always enjoyed nibbling and biting things, even when really tiny (5 weeks!) so he had a tendency to loosen some of his baby teeth before they were ready to come out, then he became unable to eat a lot of wet foods as a result! :rolleyes: :eek:

I have heard it is quite common though for his age group :)

15. Izzie

Izzie PetForums Senior

That's not necessarily a bad thing, since most of the better food is pate style anyway :thumbsup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice