Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cats just started going out.....

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Claudette, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Claudette

Claudette PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone

Hoping you can help with a question re my two gorgeous 8 month old boys. They've had a rough start, having been owned by a loving family who had to rehome them, when one of their children turned out to be asthmatic. They then spent a good few months in two different shelters, where they were very well cared for, and now have a permanent home to call their own. They're truly adorable, and I just want to make sure they're going to be happy here.

So, as they'd been with me a month, I started letting them out this weekend, and so far, so good, and I've been around all the time, as they kept popping back, to make sure someone was around, and they didn't wander too far, with the exception of causing a ruccus with a neighbour's cat :eek: but these things happen! I don't have a cat flap yet, but am organising this, so they rely on me being in to access the house

Now weekdays have arrived, I'm back at work, and left them this morning looking very mournful, in a very stuffy house (left some windows open tho).

My question is - if I left the shed open for them during the day, do you think they'll be able to work out this is a space they can be in while I'm gone, or will they think they've been abandoned if they're unable to access the house?

I've already put one of their blankets in, and would leave food there for them. Again, they were out with me this evening, and I encouraged them to come into the shed with me, to get them used to the smells

Any advice gratefully received

Thanks,

Claudette

2. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

Awww well done for taking these little ones on! :D I would have done the same as you, getting them used to the shed etc. I let my Lola out during the day and she is always waiting for me when I get home. I would let them out when you leave in the morning after they have had breakfast. On your return they will not be far away. :) Fresh water and food in the shed is a good idea. If they no it is there they will go to it should they get hungry or thirsty :)

3. LittleScruff

LittleScruff PetForums Junior

I think your cats will be fine!
    For one, there are two of them, so they will always have a companion whilst you are out and it sounds like the shed will be a fantastic shelter for them.
    You will just have to watch that it doesn't become a 2nd home/cafe for all the other cats in the neighborhood too!
    You can get microchip cat flaps which will exclusively let your cats in and out which may be the next step, especially when winter comes round!

4. Janee

Janee PetForums VIP

YES - of course

You can help by leaving some bedding in there which smells of them (so they will have to have had contact with it).

5. Amin

Amin PetForums VIP

It Sounds Like a good idea, If it were my choice I would get them used to the shed first, Maybe do it at the weekend and watch them without them knowing your at home.

I would have to be sure to know they were taking shelter in the shed when their left alone.

6. Claudette

Claudette PetForums Newbie

Thanks everyone for responding with some great advice. I think I'll go with the leaving them out in the evenings, and getting used to the shed this weekend, and then let them out all day next week :thumbup:

Getting cat flap fitted in about 2-3 weeks, so they'll have the run of the place then

Cx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice