Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cats in gardens

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by jen24, May 20, 2010.

1. jen24

jen24 Banned

How do you keep other people cats from coming in your garden? Personally it doesnt really bother me unless they are bothering our cats but i was just wondering how you would advise stopping cats that arent yours coming into your garden?

I'm asking because im on another forum, wont say which and someone has asked the question on there, and all the answers are 'throw water at them' or 'run at them hissing' or the worst one 'chase it with a broom'. its angered me a little. but then i was thinking well how do you stop them, in a more humane way!!

i know orange peel scattered around your garden is supposed to work so thats what i suggested but just thought i'd ask you guys too lol

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Not M*****t by some chance? :D

We used to have a waterpistol and would spray a bully of cat when it came into our garden. That worked. I think a gardenhose would probably work too as long as it hasn't got the pressure of a pressure washer.

3. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

We used to chase one cat away from our front door as it terrozied ours through the window, We used a broom.

If there was one in the back garden I would spray water maybe not at it unless there was a fight.

4. jen24

jen24 Banned

No its a parenting site, for mums.

i understand if theres a bully cat. but they are talking about just nice happy cats lounging in her garden.

5. jen24

jen24 Banned

I nearly used a broom once but that was a stray tom that got in our house and took refuge in our daughters room hissing at us. luckily hubby got him out without needing to use a broom but i was going too as i was pregnant and a little scared of it lol

maybe it was just the way they all worded it then, just sounded bad.:D

6. Catlover2

Catlover2 PetForums Member

I think that was the site that Hobbs was referring to ;)

We are STILL in the process of erecting our cat fencing (OH has been abroad alot.....) Once we've put up the netting - it SHOULD keep ours in and others OUT!

Hmm....we'll see :D

7. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

Cats dont bother me in my yard and if they pee on my cat enclosure tunnel I just hose it off :rolleyes: :lol: I have mine enclosed though for many reasons and one of them been so a neighbour or local resident dont hurt my girls. But I talk to the tommy visitors Lol and my girls greet them too by howling and spitting but they get over it, :p

8. _Sara_

_Sara_ PetForums Member

This would be something I would be interested in knowing too, there is one that keeps coming in my yard. It wouldn't bother me but bekki has had it by the throat a few time, shaking it like a rag doll :scared: (she's only little but she can have a cat) And im not actually sure where i would stand if she were to kill it/injure it even with it being on my property. It even gets bold and comes into the kitchen. I would have thought it would have gotten a hint by now!:confused1:

(Sorry if im hijacking!)

9. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

That would have been scary. We didn't hit him with the broom just chased him up the street, shouting and waving it. It took several times of doing this for him not come back to our door.

10. kittiegirl

kittiegirl PetForums Member

my mum used old tea bags dipped in some wood paint, just put them in the flower beds and the smell keeps them away, maybe without the paint is safer (and less toxic maybe?) cats dont care for the smell of tea bags apparently?

11. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Ooh that depends on the teabags! My OH occasionally drinks valerian tea and the cats have been known to steal the teabag before he even gets the chance to fill his mug with water! :lol: Valerian is like cat nip in the effect it has on cats!

12. Sorcha

Sorcha PetForums Senior

We've used a water pistol for our own cats, when we cat proofed our garden, but 2 of them wouldn't stop trying to get out. We were next to a busy road there, so I wanted to keep them in.

I'm very ashamed to admit this, but I have thrown stones in de direction of a bully neighbourhood cat that used to attack my cats in their own garden. Not trying to hit him, just to scare him off, but still :blush:

We now have a feral that comes into our garden, but she's friends with our cats now and I'm trying to get her to trust me. If I can feed 13, I can feed 14 ;)

13. kittiegirl

kittiegirl PetForums Member

we have to make do with PG tips, if its good enough fo the monkies its good enough for me ha

14. Emmily

Emmily PetForums Member

The most unusual advice I've read for keeping cats out of your garden is...tiger/lion (big cat) dung :lol: one sniff of that and they'll run, and not come back. :D

A bit difficult to get hold of, unless you know a friendly zoo keeper, and it would scare your own cats off. :rolleyes:

If you've got your own cats and dogs, and still neighbours cats come in your garden, I don't see that any of the usual tricks (that don't work anyway) ie orange peel, water filled bottles (suppodidly, they their reflection is another cat :rolleyes:), can't remember any of the others, none work for more than a couple of days.

With two dogs and two cats I don't get any cats in my back garden (did have a fox few weeks back), I do get them in the front garden, if it's the tail-less bully (easy to spot) from across the road, I'll say "psssttt sod off back on your own side" (hope no ever hears me :lol:), if it's any other I'll just say "hello cat" as I walk past. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice