Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cats Hunger

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Iancredible, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Iancredible

Iancredible PetForums Newbie

I've had a cat for the past 5 months & in the past 3 months she has gotten into a habit of waking me up for her breakfast. Now usually I'm fine with it as it's always been around 6am when I wake up to get ready for work.

But I'd say the past month shes been waking me between 4am & 5am & I refuse to get up until 6am. She will scratch at my face, meow in my ears, sit on my head, lick my face and hands, jump on my chest, and various other things. Literally doing anything she can to wake me.

I leave dry food out in the night but she won't touch it. I feed her wet food in the morning at 6am and at night at 6pm and she tends to sleep around 10pm.

I always leave the dry food out incase she gets hungry inbetween meals.

I just don't know what to do, i'm getting so tired and grumpy from never getting a full nights sleep. I can't even lock her downstairs as the stairs are in my living room, and the only other room downstairs is the kitchen and I refuse to lock her in there.

I've looked at those automatic pet feeders, would they be good to get? So she gets used to the times that they open?

2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Yes, I would advise you to get a timed feeder for an early morning feed and possibly a midday feed while you are out of the house as well. Or change the way you feed and feed a bed time meal.

12 hours is really too long for a cat to go between meals. Three or four meals a day is better for her, with one 8-10 hour fast. If you feed at 6 am and 6 pm I would recommend you leave a small meal in the timed feeder to open around 2 pm, then her 6 pm meal, and then feed one last meal before bed time. Then she has her long "fast" over night.

Get rid of the kibble all together, be glad she won't eat it, it's just so bad for her. :)

chillminx and moomoowawa like this.
  3. moomoowawa

moomoowawa PetForums Member

Just feed her another meal right before you go to bed (11pm? Midnight?). The last thing you do before you turn in for the night. She's probably waking you up earlier this past month because the mornings are getting lighter and cats love them some dawn/dusk action!

Ragdollady and Lurcherlad like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice