Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cats getting cold already!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Aurelie, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Aurelie

Aurelie PetForums VIP

I am struggling to remember that it is still only September. Nancy has been wandering around brrr'ing and whirring all morning, after watching her trying to burrow under a cushion I realised she might be cold. She is now perched very happily on a lovely warmed wheat bag (finally quiet!).

Am I the only one that thinks it is going to be a long cold winter this year!

2. MollyMilo

MollyMilo PetForums VIP

:eek: I think I've had the heating on the last two weeks for Milo :eek:

He's got heat pads galore, but loves his radiator bed! especially when it's on :)

3. Mirx3

Mirx3 PetForums VIP

People are saying it's going to be a bad winter because of the good weather we got in the summer.

It was 7c degrees last night, and right now I am under a big blanket and my fingers are freezing!

Have you got tips to keeping kitties warm?

4. Aurelie

Aurelie PetForums VIP

My mother in law made the children wheat bags last year and Nancy hogged them so much she made one for her - its great, heated up in the microwave and popped under a blanket it stays warm for ages. I have ordered a radiator bed from Zooplus so I'm sure that will see a lot of use this winter too.

Claude seems delighted with the drop in temperature.

5. Mirx3

Mirx3 PetForums VIP

Thanks!

I will try to get something warm like that for them, maybe pop it under their cushions in their beds. Milo keeps snuggling up to me so I think he is cold.

6. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

I am also struggling to remember it's only September! I would like a cold winter though :eek:

Not least because the cats all want to be indoors, cuddling up, instead of Jumpy whining to be outdoors until 10pm...... :rolleyes: :D

7. loftybloke

loftybloke PetForums Junior

It was certainly cold and windy where we live over the weekend, first jumper weather we've had (I love jumper weather). My wife and I were unsure if the kittens would be cold, until she pointed out that they have furry jumpers on already!

Will be sorting out the central heating to top up the house for them whilst we are away at work though, and definitely getting at last one more radiator bed for our brood :p

Lofty

8. Sophiebee

Sophiebee PetForums VIP

Id like some ideas too, may try a heat pad but dont know which kind... I also wanted a radiator bed, however loki sleeps in the living room and the radiator is behind the sofa so any other ideas would be Welcome!

9. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

I plugged the Petsafe pads in a few weeks ago which I just leave on the chairs for them. Bob is currently looking blissed out on his Snugglesafe pad. He used to spend most of the day on the electric one but Maisie has stolen his chair so I put a Snugglesafe in the microwave for him at lunchtime and he seems to be enjoying having a warm chest. I was cold last night so realised he would be too, so got out the Snugglesafes and heated him one up, he went all roly poly instead of sitting hunched up, and with the light on above him he probably thought he was in the sun :D

I may have to borrow a Snugglesafe tonight, I gave my winter duvet to the cat rescue for the lady to make pet beds when we moved house, think I will have to get a new one, it is much colder than I expected.

10. Sophiebee

Sophiebee PetForums VIP

Had a trawl through ebay/google, are the self heating pads any good? The electric ones look cosy, but i wouldnt leave one plugged in while i was at work, so was thinking the non electric one might be good if there warm....?

PS. I have fleecy pj trousers, a dressing gown, fluffy socks and a blanket on, and my heating is on, and im STILL cold, dont know how im going to survive winter!!!! :eek:

#10 Sophiebee, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  11. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

Snugglesafe are fine for about 6 - 8 hours of warmth, as long as you have a microwave to heat them in :D. I can't use an electric one in Bob's bed because he digs it up and would pull the lead out so he has a Snugglesafe one. I sometimes use one for my feet when I'm watching TV :D

Self heating ones are not popular here, they are a silver foil type sheet (like the ones used in sports and to keep in cars for extreme weather) with a fleece cover. The problem is that they make a crinkling noise and neither of my two would sit on them. Didn't seem to get warm either.

With the Petsafe (electric) ones, I leave them on all the time.

I have had some called Pet Pad but they aren't much use, don't get warm and the power supply doesn't work. I bought one as it was the right size and shape to slip in the cat basket, made a little hole in the wicker for the power supply and set it all up with snuggly blankets on top. It got sightly warm for a couple of days then just stopped working.

#11 maisiecat, Sep 16, 2013
  12. oliviarussian

oliviarussian Meeoow!

The up side to it getting colder is that the last few days I've been getting more cuddles.... Little heat seeking thieves!!!!

#12 oliviarussian, Sep 16, 2013
  13. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

I have to move a big pile of cardboard beds/toys (boxes) as they are in the way of one of the radiators where her Ladyship likes to sleep. Poor thing is having to make do with a heated chair, it's a hard life being a cat.

14. Dante

Dante PetForums VIP

Ours all made their winter transition last week from sleeping on bedroom furniture around the bed.. to now sleeping on us in bed. I'd forgotten how restrictive they are!! One on either side of each leg, one in the middle and one on my back/chest..

Definitely keeping me warm though! :D

15. Sophiebee

Sophiebee PetForums VIP

Oooh think ill get a snugglesafe then, (bonus i can pinch it if hes not using it too!) didnt realise they would last so long! A crinkly one would just become a great toy but not get sat on much me thinks :D

16. congenialhen

congenialhen PetForums Junior

i might invest in a radiator bed. do them make them person sized? i'm freezing!
    my two won;t be going out for a few months yet as they're only young. will probably wait for the worst of the cold to go, though maybe letting them out when it's freezing will encourage them to come back in quicker!

17. Ringypie

Ringypie PetForums VIP

I think the fact that Parsnip was feeling cold led to our mammoth cuddle session yesterday! Usually he snuggles up to Flint who is a big soft fluffy live hot water bottle.

18. Cosmills

Cosmills PetForums VIP

I am currently under the blanket , warm pj and dressing grown with five kittens .. Millie is in the ironing basket , Rosie on our bed ...

I added extra blankets to the kittens beds with self heating pads . Plus igloos ... The heaters are on in the cattery so everyone should to toasty warm

I have been told the heating stays off until October :rolleyes:

19. JordanRose

JordanRose Master of the Whingey Cat.

Spooks has been burying himself in my duvet cover the last couple of days. He doesn't have much to keep himself warm. Bless!

I like to give him some warm white fish or chicken a couple of times a week to try and warm him up a bit. The buns also have porridge (oats with warm water) every couple of weeks to build them up. Yes, I am crazy! :eek:ut:

Once we resort to the heating- which won't be long, I don't think :( - I'm sure I'm going to be rejected for the radiator bed once again. Boohoo!

20. Aurelie

Aurelie PetForums VIP

I make mine warm fish for supper in the winter too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice