Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cats get distressed when we put fan on

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by kahmac, Jun 30, 2009.

1. kahmac

kahmac PetForums Newbie

Hi - we have two 9-month-old cats who get very distressed when we put the fan on in our bedroom at night. Is there a known problem with cats and fans (noise, vibrations etc) or do they just need to get used to it? We are beginning to melt in the heat!!

Thanks for any advice! :)

2. borderer

borderer Guest

put the cats in another room:D:rolleyes:

3. Izzie999

Izzie999 PetForums VIP

Hi,

I think you just have to let them get used to it or not have them in your bedroom at night. Our cats don't mind ours at all, in fact they often choose to lie next to it. You have to think about your own comfort in this heat. It is very difficult to sleep in a room if it is stifling isn't it?

We keep our blinds shut in our bedroom all day, plus the window slightly open, that way its more comfortable once we go to bed.

Izzie

4. kahmac

kahmac PetForums Newbie

Thanks - will try to get them used to the fan. Just wanted to find out if other cats had the same problem!!

5. Number 1

Number 1 PetForums Member

Just leave them to it. Mine used to freak out at the smallest noises, now only the vacuum cleaner freaks them out.

I have a portable large fan, and an aircon unit, they are ok with both

6. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

When my 2 were kittens they were scared stiff of the fan! They dont particularly enjoy it now but they dont pay any attention to it now :)

7. Aud's_Mum

Aud's_Mum PetForums VIP

Audrey is terrified of our ceiling fan - she won't come in that room at all - and its the one that leads them outside into the garden!!

Were thinking about getting a fan for our bedroom but she sleeps with me in bed and I couldnt bear her being frightened of coming in the bedroom because of the fan!! :blushing: I'm such a mug! lol!

8. an4rew

an4rew PetForums Newbie

Same here, my cat refuses to enter a room with a floor fan on.

maybe the vibrations and sound it doesn't like?

9. Mr Gizmo

Mr Gizmo Body of a Buddah.

We brought a vertical fan on Monday and for the first couple of days Candy would only walk past it if she could give it a wide berth but she now realises that the cool air from it is for her benefit and has got over her fear very quickly.:cool:It is worth remembering that no 2 cats are alike but given time i'm sure they will come around.

10. Aud's_Mum

Aud's_Mum PetForums VIP

I bought a stand alone fan yesterday for our bedroom.....Audrey was very wary at first but again, when she felt the cool breeze she was straight in front of it fanning hersefl off! lol!

The boys think its the best thing since sliced bread!

11. Cyberfyn

Cyberfyn PetForums VIP

Not as distressed as this one!

YouTube - Cat in Fan

Don't panic! It's a made up viral advert from a couple of years ago. No cat's were hurt. All CGI.

Ian.

#11 Cyberfyn, Jul 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  12. kahmac

kahmac PetForums Newbie

We've bought an 'evaporative cooler' which is quieter than a regular fan but seems just as effective. One of the cats is still a bit nervous but much better and the other one loves it - she lies as close to it as she can get! :D

13. Shmitty!

Shmitty! PetForums Senior

Mine aren't bothered, they don't really even no it's there? I am not watching that video though, it WILL disturb me, made up or not.

Just let them get used to it on their own terms btw. Don't try and take them to the fan or near it to listen, just put it on when you want it on and if they wanna hide or come and investigate, let them. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice