Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cats fur twitching after flea treatment

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by monkeynut, Feb 21, 2019.

1. monkeynut

monkeynut PetForums Newbie

I posted a few months ago about my cats having scabs, it turns out that it’s down to fleas! I checked many times for them with the flea comb but didn’t find anything, neither did the vet. Last night I checked for the first time in 2 weeks and they both had large crawling fleas on the comb. Today I have been cleaning non stop and I put a spot on treatment by Johnson’s on both cats. As soon as I put it on one of my cats gagged once but then was fine. They have been eating and drinking as normal but I notice that their fur keeps twitching. I might be over reacting and paranoid but I just want to make sure that it’s normal. Thank you in advance :)

2. I don't know, but one of the signs of a cat having fleas is its fur twitching an rippling, especially around the tail area (along with black flecks on white bedding), so hopefully that is all it is.

monkeynut likes this.
  3. I have been reading some reviews of Johnsons flea treatment, and most people say their cats go a bit berserk with the scratching soon after treatment, then the fleas start to 'fall off'. This was for the tablet version though, but it could be the same ingredients but in a different form. I wonder if the fleas that hatch from the eggs would die once they bit the cat, or does the Johnsons only treat current live fleas...

I find Advantage spot-on to be excellent at killing fleas AND their young once they hatch out and get hungry, and even fleas that have jumped on my cat up to 12 weeks later after the application.

monkeynut likes this.
  4. monkeynut

That’s interesting thank you, I haven’t actually seen any dead fleas yet which I thought was odd. I usually use advantage but there wasn’t any in pet shops or supermarkets, in hindsight I should have got some from the vet but I was in a bit of a panic and Johnson’s was the best I could find. If the Johnson’s doesn’t work do you know what I could do? Thank you for your help I really appreciate it!

5. I could never advise you what to do treatment-wise, mostly because I just don't know, but Johnsons say that all fleas should be dead within 12 hours. I just don't know about the eggs when they hatch out. If I were in your situation I would probably ring a vet or Cats' Protection tomorrow or email them tonight in readiness and ask them if the hatchlings will be killed and, if not, how soon after application I could use Advantage; and meanwhile tonight do some Googling (and more washing and vacuuming!)

Their website below suggests that it does kill larvae, so I wouldn't be hasty in wanting to re-treat your cat due to toxic overload. Just be vigilant.

I hope somebody more knowledgeable than me will respond. Vacuuming every day for a couple of weeks (all the nooks and crannies too) is vital.

https://www.johnsons-vet.com/4fleas-spot-on/

#5 Deleted member 1482176, Feb 21, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2019
    monkeynut likes this.
  6. monkeynut

[I bought the indorex spray and have sprayed every inch of my house so I’m hoping that will help the hatchlings too. You’re right I should get some advice, I haven’t had to deal with fleas for years and I can’t remember much on how to get rid of them! Thank you for the advice :)

TriTri likes this.
  7. The Indorex will definitely help!

TriTri likes this.
  8. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Johnsons 4Fleas Spot-on for cats contains the same insecticide as Advantage (imadacloprid).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice