Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cats fur grew back a different colour

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Daisy91, Dec 19, 2020.

1. Daisy91

Daisy91 PetForums Newbie

Hi all.

So my kitten Luna was neutered a few months ago. She has healed really well and her fur is now all grown back. However there is a distinct patch of fur, right over where the incision was that has grown back darker than the rest.

Here is her sleeping with our other kitten before the operation...
    20201219_100004.jpg

And here is her after...
    20201219_100055.jpg
    Obviously it's not an issue lol, it's just not something I've ever heard of before. I was wondering if this was a common thing or if she is just special ;)

2. Arny

Arny PetForums VIP

Yes its very common.
    What makes the cat colourpoint is the fact its temperature sensitive. So areas where the body is cooler the fur grows in darker, generally the extremities or like you'd found shaved patches.
    Experiments were carried out where rabbits with the same gene were shaved and put in a cool environment or shaved and heat pads placed on them to see what happened.
    My own colourpoint has evened out on both sides and she's significantly darker generally than she was a kitten.

chillminx likes this.
  3. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

As above ^^^ My Ragdoll Has had various body shaves over the years for scans etc and each time his fur grew back a different shade to the surrounding fur but after his next moult it grew back in evenly again.

chillminx likes this.
  4. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

My Mazy cat is a brown tabby. Not a speck of white on her. She had an abscess once, on her shoulder, that had to be shaved. The spot grew back pure white. She had that white patch for years. I've just checked and see that it is gone. I didn't notice when it went.

5. Willsee

Willsee PetForums Member

This is very common with Siamese as they are colour pointed and therefore temperature sensitive, my females have all had midline spays so any colour change is not so noticeable.

6. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I was wrong! I was looking in the wrong spot, the white is still there, I saw it this morning! Not quite as evident as it used to be, but there are still quite a few white hairs in that spot! Not a very good picture here I'm afraid. It's an old one I found on photobucket. I don't know..photobucket doesn't seem to keep the integrity of digital photos very well, when you download them back onto the computer.

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice