Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cats fought

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Catmum123, Mar 5, 2020.

1. Catmum123

Catmum123 PetForums Newbie

So we’ve had Renny for 1 year, who we adopted when Spaz was 5. They’ve gotten along really well over the year, they play and wrestle (which sometimes Renny takes too far and Spaz let’s him know by a little hiss or little Yelp) but never anything more. Back in October they had a fight which we figured was redirected aggression and they were okay after being separated for a couple hours. They haven’t had a fight since. Until today. Renny is a clumsy one and fell off the cat tree, my dad caught him and put him on the ground, Renny then ran and Spaz went running after him which is normal behaviour for them, they chase eachother around the house all the time) however They both slid into an open door and One of them screamed and Spaz started fighting Renny. I’m not sure exactly what caused it, I don’t know if Spaz might’ve seen another animal outside or if she thought Renny had hurt my dad in some way and went protective mode or if it was simply just getting scared from running into the door together. I’m not sure if I explained it well but any thoughts on if it was likely just from getting spooked, or a potential redirected aggression? Or Should we be looking further into it?

My second question is separating them for too long a bad thing? We separated them after the fight, we tried a slow reintroduction a couple hours later like we did last time however Renny was visibly scared and we figured he needed some more time and a slower introduction this time. however it was late in the day and we didn’t feel comfortable trying again and leaving them out over night. So they’re spending the night separated. Is there such a thing as being separated for too long? Will they have calmed down and forgot about it come morning or will Spaz resent Renny in anyway for not being able to come into that part of the house (or something along those lines) or forget who each other is or anything of that sort?

sorry if that was a story book haha were just not used to them fighting and I want to make sure I take the right steps because I’m going away for the weekend (my parents whom We live with will be here) and they’re both very clingy when it comes to us so I know they’ll already be slightly upset I’m gone. I just want to have ease of mind that they likely will be okay in the next day and a half. Thanks for reading this long book

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Catmum123 and welcome :) Please be assured your post was not overly long - it was just fine. :)

My experience is that if there is quite a serious falling-out between 2 cats who are housemates it is better to separate them (as you have done) and reintroduce them to each other slowly. If one cat is still very scared of the other then you are best to go at a pace that suits the scared one. i,e, be guided by the cat's reactions.

It once took me 3 days to gradually re-introduce my two girls to each other after one girl had a difficult vet visit (the girls are sisters, and normally the best of pals). I have known of some cases where it has taken up to a week of gradual re-exposure of two cats to each other before they are OK again.

Cats who are used to living together would have to spend weeks apart in different environments (so their scent would be different) for them to become estranged. As long as your cats are seeing each other for even a short period every 24 hours or so, there is no risk of them forgetting each other.

moomoowawa likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice