Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat's food is out of stock - what to get her.

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by TaffyApple, Jan 25, 2021.

1. TaffyApple

TaffyApple Yoko's Servant

Just gone to order Yoko's food on zooplus and all the flavours she likes bar one are out of stock. I order her food when she has a week left to allow for delivery so waiting is an issue. The food is Catz Finefood (in poultry, chicken and pheasant and chicken and tuna flavours)

For those who don't know about Yoko. She an overweight madam thats driven me a little bonkers since I adopted her because the second she gets hungry, she turns into a different cat (she will destroy the place.) There's a separate thread outlining the fun I've had but in short she's properly fussy and if what I put down isn't to her taste, she will refuse to eat it and continue being hangry cat. We've been doing so good with the three flavours on rotation - she hasn't gone for my wardrobe in a good month and her weight is coming off at a healthy rate. Hence my mild panic.

So I need some ideas of what I can order thats similar enough to the Catz to get us through this stock issue (Wild Freedom isn't an option - previously tried and rejected)

2. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Try Amazon, they have it though not sure how much longer stocks will last and its probably more expensive than Zooplus. If they have what you want, I would stock up on as much as you can afford.

How about trying Meowing Heads which is similar though more moist, Nature Menu, Simpsons, all good quality foods. You can buy direct from the manufacturers, the prices are much the same.

3. TaffyApple

Thanks for the suggestions.

Prices on Amazon made me reach for my glasses to double check I was seeing right, 12 cans of Poultry on Zooplus £14.29, Amazon £32.58. Poultry and Prawns (not on zooplus) popped up on the same search and was £40. I love my cat a lot but she'll bankrupt me at that price.

I'll do some research on the other picks now. I've also seen the zooplus thread about everyone else's woes. I'm so late to the party - I seriously didn't put two and two together.

Douglas’ Dad and Charity like this.
  4. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Yes, I know some of Amazon prices are extortionate on all things...forget that then. :(

TaffyApple likes this.
  5. TaffyApple

It was a good suggestion. I wouldn't have minded paying a little more to get through the transition to a different food but more than double, oof. Those prawns better be covered in gold for that price.

Looking at the Catz in general, I wouldn't be surprised if after their current stock goes, that's that. Cannot deny I'm a bit disappointed/worried given that we were finally doing good and it had allowed me to stop being such a stresspot over her diet. Beyond the flavours she does like, I have a small supply of ones she went off. I may try to reintroduce them to buy me some time for transition and hope she'll co-operate.

6. LeArthur

LeArthur PetForums VIP

TaffyApple likes this.
  7. TaffyApple

1 UK listing at £38. 60 International ones - a lot of which aren't her flavours and/or have a £75 delivery fee on top of being the same price as Amazon (or there abouts)

Edit: The UK listing is actually for 24 cans. So is actually £10 more than Zooplus. The problem is that to get her rotation it would outside my usual monthly budget. Even though it would last much longer I have to be careful with my money because I'm on benefits,

Its worth considering if I can make it work budget wise. Thanks.

#7 TaffyApple, Jan 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    LeArthur likes this.
  8. Britt

Britt In love with Roucky

Why not try Zooplus.be (Belgium) of Zooplus.nl (Netherlands)? Maybe they have it and it will probably be cheaper than amazon

9. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

ZP in their update has said NONE of their companies will be delivering to the uk:(

chillminx likes this.
  10. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

The prices always go up like that when there is a shortage. Amazon is supposed to prevent this kind of gouging but it happens al the time. I feel for you and hope you can find something. I would suggest you continue to try to find other foods she will eat for just these kinds of situations. Never stop trying to add something to her rotation.

11. TaffyApple

Thanks for the replies.

I've decided to try her on some Nature's Menu to see if she will take to it. Reason being that I found its website detailed on whats in it including calories and was able to work out that 2 pouches per day is exactly what she should be having (well just about) to maintain her steady weight loss. Which is super helpful for me when it comes to portion control.

In the meantime, I dug out my supply of "out of favour" flavours. I tried her some Veal and she actually ate it. So, I'm hopeful, that if she takes to the Nature's Menu and is eating what supplies I have, we'll get through transition.

Still disappointed though that this is the situation I find myself in. But I cannot magically make Zooplus have stock so time to roll with it.

Summercat and pennycat like this.
  12. Britt

Britt In love with Roucky

Why? Because of the Brexit? Shipping will probably be high, otherwise I could check on zooplus and if they have what you need I would ship it to you.

TaffyApple likes this.
  13. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Yes, I think so. Many EU companies have suspended sales to UK.
    Thanks for your kind offer but he's ok for a while.

TaffyApple and Britt like this.
  14. TaffyApple

She* (sorry I'm being picky)

@Britt And yes, we're fine. For now. On Tues, a package arrives with a bunch of Nature's Menu. I also need to visit Yoko's vet and collect her flea treatment soon (when my outside isn't covered in snow and my sleep isn't messed up that I'm on here at 4am.) Its right by two large pet stores that I can raid for more options.

But here's the kicker. The Catz is back in stock. Yes, all the flavours I need are back. And with madam deciding to eat the "out of favour" flavours, I have a enough time to restock. Like why couldn't that have been a week ago? *shake fists to heavens*

I'm still team transition.... I think. Who knows what's coming next with Brexit? And this experience has taught me that she's eating a food can could potentially disappear. But I have put a ZP order in and I was able to get a little more than usual. So I don't have to rush her or myself through a hasty switch.

Summercat likes this.
  15. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Hopefully we'll get almost as good a choice as before.
    I kept checking the AC and Almo. Nothing for ages, then the variety box appeared but not individual flavours. Those appeared a day or two later.
    I'm sending up prayers for the Almo to reappear!:D

Summercat and TaffyApple like this.
  16. TaffyApple

We can only hope. I hope you get what you need.

Yoko is celebrating the news with one of her "I know I only ate an hour ago but I'm starving" riots. I swear she's going to break the kitchen door handle one of these days.

SbanR likes this.
  17. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

Have you tried Sainsbury's own brand? Tried and tested by Beryl. She likes all the flavours in their black box except salmon. She only likes the fish box, not the poultry one.

She also likes their cheap browny purply box. But im not sure how high quality they are. Beryl is not impressed by expensive cat food at all. I think the black box one is good quality though.

18. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

*Sigh*
    If only mine would eat so well I'd dance with joy

TaffyApple likes this.
  19. TaffyApple

I'm a bit late coming back to this thread - it has been a busy time.

Yoko has now tried the Nature's Menu. I was happy with it. I like that 2 pouches provided her daily allowance exactly which is something the Catz doesn't (either in tins or pouches) and always means getting the scales out at mealtime to ensure I'm not overfeeding.

Yoko was less impressed. She was initially interested but I have a feeling that this was more down to the fact it wasn't the "out of favour" flavours of her Catz (which rapidly went back out of favour once she knew there was something else to eat.) By the time we got to the end of the supply, she was very assertive that she wasn't eating that.

A healthy supply of the good favours of Catz arrived and while she's eating, I'm starting to get the odd tantrum. The tins which came have slightly different packaging. Probably just an update of the label as I don't see any difference in the actual food and nothing to indicate a "new recipe." Hopefully, she will settle.

Not sure what I will try her on next. I do want to find something she likes besides Catz just in case the day comes I cannot get it. But she's so funny it's hard to decide.

20. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

Hi,
    @TaffyApple
    I would try mixing up her food a bit more. Not all one brand at a time. I feed a few different foods over the period of a day.
    I understand it is harder to do that if you are budgeting. If order in bulk, get more than one brand (availability permitting).
    If possible, try out local brands that are good, if you can in single packets/tins from a pet shop, that makes it easier to experiment.
    I have heard good things about Little Big Paw, Cheshire Cats Garden and my two love Meowing Heads.

TaffyApple likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice