Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cats Dying Due to Dog Flea Treatments

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by chrisg, Nov 12, 2007.

1. chrisg

chrisg PetForums Newbie

I'm sure that no-one on this forum would ever dream of doing such a thing, but here's a cautionary story from last weeks daily papers. I'm posting it here because I think all cat and dog owners should be aware of this.

A recent study has shown that hundreds of cats are dying every year because their owners use dog flea treatments on them.

Over the counter dog flea treatments contain a chemical that is fatal to 1 in 10 cats and leaves 88 per cent twitching and suffering with convulsions.

The chemical, an insecticide called Permethrin, is hugely dangerous to cats. The Veterinary Poisons Information Service says that this chemical is so toxic that cats will fall sick just by sharing bedding with a recently treated dog. Victims need 2 to 3 days of intensive treatment to recover.

Dog flea treatments that contain Permethrin include Bob Martin Dog Spot On, Johnson's Insecticidal Flea and Tick Drops, Wilko Dog Flea Drops and Armitage Flea and Tick Drops for Dogs said the Veterinary Medicines Directorate.

Martin Johnson of the British Small Animal Veterinary Association said, "People either use them accidentally or to save money - by splitting one dose into several ones".

2. dh.dti

dh.dti Guest

Maybe they should put really large warnings on the packaging for the people that are either too tight to buy the correct stuff or too thick to read the small print.
    :mad::mad:

Sorry to be blunt & all that, but if people cannot do the simple things like read the bl:eek::eek:dy stuff in the first place...

Then they shouldn't be keeping pets:rolleyes:

3. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

Don't do it myself, but I can imagine many people do, not on this forum though, I think the more you know the better, if you can stop one cat suffering.

4. dh.dti

dh.dti Guest

agreed

tbh, if you havent got a clue you should really be seeking expert advise ie a pet shop owner or vet maybe

5. chrisg

chrisg PetForums Newbie

I agree, but how can you stop people keeping pets?
    Even those prosecuted by the RSPCA have been found to acquire more pets later on.

And people that are too tight to buy the proper flea treatment are never going to pay vets bills.

When I was with Cats Protection it was difficult enough to get people to go to the Vets when we paid and just as difficult to get them to go to the PDSA. Of course, if we offered to take the cat to the Vets for them then it was a different matter!

Yes, I agree that it would help if manufacturers put a warning on the packaging.

The thing that shocked me about it, though, was that a cat can be affected just by being in close contact with a treated dog. I find that truly horrifying.

6. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

thats awful,, poor cats, thats why cat products are for cats and dog products are for dogs!!!!!!

7. dh.dti

dh.dti Guest

this is why i think the product should not be available off the shelf

8. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

You think people would make sure they put the right product on their animals. It clearly says do not use on cats does not take the brain of brittain to figure out what that means, also cats flea producs are usually cheaper than dogs so it cannot even be a budget thing (you cant put a price on an animals life anyway)

9. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

yep i agree, and they have warnings on them dont they,:mad:

10. dh.dti

dh.dti Guest

yes they do have warnings, but some people are too ignorant or not clever enough to understand what the label is saying.
    or they may be just having a bad day & picked it by mistake:rolleyes:

This is why i really do think that it should be the responsibility of the product manufacturer to make sure this type of product is not sold off the shelf, if you had to ask the pet shop supplier for the product they could be sure it was the right one for your pet
    :)

11. Dawny

Dawny PetForums Member

This is why people should buy Frontline. :) Bob Martin etc doesn't work anyway so what's the point??

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice