Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cats Diet

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Elleymay, Apr 1, 2021.

1. Elleymay

Elleymay PetForums Newbie

Hi all, I have a 6 months old female cat called Amber. We have had her since she was 9weeks old. Now amber will only eat, chicken, beef, tuna etc... our food... nothing else! We were told she had been weeded of felix kitten food but she would touch that when we brought her home...
    we tried it for over 24hrs she never ate anything. We also put a bowl of dry food out....she was very tiny and after this length of time with no food we were worried. So my husband try a tin of tuna and she wolfed it down & now she won’t eat any sort of cat food wet or dry.
    Amber was spade 4 weeks ago tomorrow & seems to be struggling going to the toilet for a poo. The vet says she needs more fibre in her diet. I have looked up different recipes. But was wondering if anybody could give me some tips/ advice on how we could get her on normal cat food or at least some Fibre into her food. Thanks

2. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Oh dear, she definitely needs cat food not human food as it contains Taurine and all the other nutrition a cat needs.
    Some cats can be very picky. You can buy specially prepared raw minced cat food if she would prefer that, with all the nutrients in. Or you can buy shredded tuna flakes with the right nutrients in like Thrive cans or Sainsburys Delicious. But she does need more than just tinned tuna as this is not good for every day.

#2 Treaclesmum, Apr 1, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    Elleymay likes this.
  3. Orla

Orla PetForums VIP

If she will eat chicken I would try to introduce foods that are chipped or shredded chicken as these will be closest to what she is used to. Blink, Thrive, Hi life do both a chopped chicken and a tuna one so she might like those. start by serving a small portion of what she will eat and a small amount of the new food on a separate plate next to the other meal. You could even try putting some tuna or chicken on the top of the new offering. She really does need to be eating a complete food, ideally wet, rather than just human food do it is very much worth persevering. Keep us updated and check out the various threads about transitioning to wet food or transitioning to higher quality or raw as there will be other suggestions in those.

Elleymay, Treaclesmum and Maurey like this.
  4. Elleymay

I have tried introducing other normal
    Cat food by mixing it with the food she eats now. amber is quite a clever cat and has managed to eat round the cat food eating all the normal chicken...I will definitely look into getting some of the foods you have recommended. Thank you for your advice I keep you updated.

Orla likes this.
  5. Elleymay

Thank you so much for your reply & your advice on how to transition her on to
    Some new and better food. So will definitely look into getting some of the foods you recommend.

Orla likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice