Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

cats change in food habit

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by rhian d, Jun 5, 2010.

1. rhian d

rhian d PetForums Senior

ok so we did have oakley and dillon on natures menu which oakley had been eating ever since we got him. dillon however took a dislike to this so we got them iams which they started eating fine then again dillon went of this and we have tried various different foods which have not been succesful. i am going to get a box of natures menu see if they will start eating that again, but i am worried as oakley has started copying dillon and not eating. They will eat loads of dry biscuits and i no they are drinking more as we are putting more water down for them.

also can people please tell me what is good quality wet food to get them. they seemed to like the iams but i dont know how good for them it is i didnt think it had high meat content. sorry for the long post cheers :)

2. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

as long as they are drinking plenty and it's a good quality dry they are eating then don't worry too much.

Feline Fayre (black pouches/tins) are fairly cheap and high meat,
    Bozita is another high quality one

Maybe remove all wet for 2-3 days and then see if they eat whatever you offer? if it's just boredom you may end up needing a cycle of 2-4 brands that you rotate through.

3. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Yup, cats are fickle! Particularly when it comes to their wet food. Here are some that I had pulled together for a different thread. The list tells you how much meat is in it and where you can typically buy them.

In terms of wet food, here is a list of wet foods that are complete with a high meat content:

- Bozita - 93% meat content in their tetrapacks and available to order online from seapets, e and r, and zooplus. (about 4% fat). Bozita also do a tinned version, which is a pate that has 97% meat and 5% fat
    - Purely has got a meat content of 50% I believe and is available from Pets at home. About 2% fat
    - Natures Menu has a 70% meat content, and is available from Pets at home too as well as other places. About 6% fat
    - Feline Fayre is often fed by people here - the black pouches are complete- available in Asda, Morrisons etc (about 2% fat)
    - HiLife - also has a good meat content - varies from 45% to 70% depending on type. About 2% fat
    - Tesco also do a wet food that has a high meat content - I believe it is called Tesco Luxury 49% and Tesco Finest 49% +. The meat versions of Tesco Just Nature contain 60% meat.
    - Porta 21 - tends to be whole meat tuna (46%) and the rest broth; very low fat 0.5%; available from zooplus. Porta is a bit like complementary food in terms of its texture but it is a complete food. Just low on fat. You could add some goose fat to fatten it up a bit.

There are also these, which are in consistency like applaws and co:
    Zooplus also do Schmusy - which is pure meat in jelly. They do Vollwertflakes, which is 80% meat and animal byproducts, and some rice in pouches (though it may not be a full 100% of chicken that makes up the 80% meat (if that makes sense). They do a just chicken one for that. 20 pouches are £8.90 (£0.44 for 100g). This is also a complete food.

There is also Cosma Original - that comes in a 85g tin and is shredded meat like applaws also in broth and a little rice. 45% meat. Like applaws it is not a complete food, but since you are feeding dry that is less of an issue. 6 tins of cosma is £3.99 on zooplus (£0.78 for 100 g).

Zooplus also sells Schesir - again shredded meat in broth, with a great selection of chicken flavours (pure chicken, with surimi, with ham - not sure whether they would eat that). Comes in 85 g tins and 6 are £4.79 - so not cheaper than applaws. About 60% meat but like applaws and co light on fat (£0.94 for 100g).

If your cat eats pate, then you could try these:
    - Pet's Kitchen (Joe & Jills) - 90% meat content, about 8 - 10% fat - available from them directly - Pets Kitchen - Experts in natural pet food, developed by Joe Inglis TV Vet
    - Lily's Kitchen - 65% organic meat; 5.5% fat - available from them directly: Lily's Kitchen • Organic Dog Food, Organic Cat Food • Natural Complete Pet Food • Certified Holistic, Ethically produced • Natural dog food, Grain free cat food.
    -Grau - 89% meat content and 4% wholegrain rice; 5.5% fat - available from zooplus
    - Herrmanns - 97% organic meat, about 4-6% fat - available at zooplus but pricey but only need 1 pouch per day
    And there is Ziwi Peak!

Lol Indysmamma, I would do it the other way round - withhold the dry and see whether they will eat the wet.

I would have about 3 or 4 brands on rota - so they don't get bored.

#3 hobbs2004, Jun 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  4. rhian d

rhian d PetForums Senior

thanks for the reply i think i tried the feline fayre and they did not like it i did have them on the natures menu are iams at the same time just swapping every few days and they seemed to be fine for a little while then got bored. There have been no runny poo's other than when i got them purina one (which i still have 2 boxes off) but i think it was too rich for dillon. I will try the dry only for a few days i was just a bit worried coz of the hot weather but as i say they have def been drinking more and it is james wellbeloved.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice