Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cats & Birds

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by sonyadown, Jun 27, 2009.

1. sonyadown

sonyadown PetForums Newbie

Hi - Any opinions would be appreciated

We know it is natural, but our 1yr old male kitten (He has been done) is catching birds, we know that there is nothing we can do about it (we don't want to put a collar on him, well we did try but he went beserk). Our question being is it better to try to get the birds from him or to leave the bird with him to finish it off? We managed to get a bird from him the other day, it didn't seem too bad so we put it in the garage with bread & water, but sadly it still died, so we now dont know which is more humane for the bird.

Thanks in advance.

2. Birdie Wife

Birdie Wife PetForums Member

Get him used to the collar and bell slowly by positive association - it really is the best thing for warning the birds of his presence. In time he'll learn to stalk silently even when waering a bell, but he won't be able to stop it ringing when he pounces so if you have bird feeders, put them up high and near somewhere the birds have some cover to fly to. If you have a look on the RSPB website, I think they have soemm good advice on there.

Regarding possibly injured birds - it depends on the situation really. Some birds will die just of the shock and others will pull through. If I notice my cat with a bird, I always try to make a really loud noise to get her to drop it first and chase her off it, but if she runs off with the bird there's not a lot I can do really.

If you can keep him in the house in the early morning and let him out when the sun is well up, that might work too - I know my cat does most of her killing at that time and when the sun's up the birds have more chance of seeing her.

3. Summer1098

Summer1098 PetForums Senior

Birdie Wife gave some good advice there.
    I would like to say that if the bird your cat caught is in shock or badly injured, it would be better (in my opinion) to let the cat kill it. But if it still struggling and only slightly injured, you could try scaring your cat into dropping it or prize it from your cats mouth.

Sumaya

4. Simba9952

Simba9952 PetForums Member

Hi sonyadown,

Some good advice has been given to you here, however I would add that cats are hunters and you should praise your 1yr old for anything he brings you. If you try to scare him off when he has his 'kill', he will simply go elsewhere to finish the job. If you praise him, he will bring everything he catches to you and then you have the chance to save it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice