Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cats and "vet collars"

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Muzzie, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Muzzie

Muzzie PetForums Junior

Ok so, I don't know the 'technical term' for them but Esme is now having to wear one after not leaving her stitches alone.

My question is - do they get used to them pretty quickly?

She's making me feel extremely sorry for her at the minute as she's walking around with her head down and constantly bumping into things that are too close.
    I gave in and took it off her about an hour ago but then she ran and hid under the bed to mess with her wound again so we both had a stressful time and I managed to get it back on!

It was awful when first putting it on - she did an almosy exorcist like run backwards around the whole room.. I wasn't creeped one bit :eek: :rolleyes::

Any advice is appreciated! :D

P.s - sorry, I seem to always be posting at the moment!
    I just want to see her settle before I head off to work :(

2. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

They are generally referred to as Buster collars I think......and most cats hate them, but they can be a necessary evil. Chances are that she will settle down to snooze most of the day once you leave for work as they do not like moving around with them on. You may also find that it is best to take it off to let her eat ( supervised ) and have a wash.
    Depending on the size of the cat, and position of wound, I have often trimmed them back so they are not QUITE so huge and unwieldy...it only needs to be a deep as her face if that makes sense.
    Hopefully it will only be necessary for a couple of days....

3. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Awwwww....... Sympathies to both of you!!

Sometimes we have to be cruel to be kind and, if she won't leave her wound alone, then she needs to wear her collar. I know you feel so guilty but remember, when it comes to the art of manipulation - Cats have got this down to purrfection. They don't need a collar to make you think you are being mean & cruel to them!!! :mad:

It is hard to watch them moving around with the collar on and it breaks your heart but sometimes, it just has to be done. How long does she need to wait for the stitches to come out? I'm assuming she's only just had them done? They might well be quite itchy at the moment but will settle in a day or two and then perhaps she will not attack them if the collar is removed. I think there are also some alternative options and I am sure that another PF member will be able to advise you on these and which is best.

Good luck to you both. :)

4. Muzzie

Muzzie PetForums Junior

I have trimmed around or just over an inch off so that she can reach things better like food and water - thanks for the advice I didn't even think of trimming it down! :blink:

It is her spay stitches which she seemed to like to pull at, so it is a fair few inches long!

5. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

i know how you feel,Dizzy hated her collar, i felt awful making her wear it, they do calm down after a while, then they just seem to find it awkward, it really is best to try to leave it on when your not around if shes pulling at her stitches, bless her,good luck,:)

6. Milly Cat

Milly Cat PetForums Member

Milly was not a happy kitty having to wear her collar after her spaying but we couldn't leave her unsupervised without it on as she'd start licking and pulling her stitches. To make matters worse we'd come home from work to find poop smeared over the edge of it where she'd used the litter tray and then inspected her 'deposit' - not nice having her rub around your legs with a poopy collar! Hopefully your cat will settle in a few days and may not need it, but Milly needed it for the full 10 days until the stitch came out; I even needed to get a bigger replacement as during that time she managed to outgrow the first one and had started to aggravate the wound :(

7. GreyHare

GreyHare Guest

She will get used to it, best thing I found was to just leave it on as my cat got more stressed if I took it off and put it back on, you can help her by keeping the floor clear and blocking small spaces where she could get stuck (I took the legs off my sofa as she got wedged under there). My cat had to wear hers for the full 12 days as she just would not leave the wound alone, and she adapted very quickly and continued to climb her cat tree and play with the tap in the bath, i had to hold the bowl for her eat but apart from that she was fine, my ankles however weren't due to her constant "accidental" bumpage/ramming into them :D

8. GingerHound

GingerHound PetForums Member

Are these like an inverted cone type collar?

9. Ally-Kats

Ally-Kats PetForums VIP

They are awful things but necessary. I know what you mean about the backwards thing, Scamp did this. He had an eye removed and had to wear it for two weeks and at first it freaked him out. He did get used to it but found eating difficult and he used to wash the inside of it. I took it of for a few minutes with supervision so that he could have a proper quick wash and feed and so that I could keep it clean :) Bumping into things is just something they can't help, but as someone else suggested, moving things is a great help. At least it isn't for long, hope Esme recovers from the op soon :)

10. Dozymoo

Dozymoo PetForums VIP

We've always referred to them as Elizabethan Collars. My cat hated his after this operation and went metal at first. But they do eventually get used to them. It's probably more difficult for us to watch them struggling to be honest. But if she's really struggling to cope with it, there are alternatives. I bought a Dermapetwear Jacket and it arrived really quickly....

Dermapetwear

Comfy Collars for Cats and Dogs

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice