Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cats and Vaccinations

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by happysaz133, Sep 13, 2014.

1. happysaz133

happysaz133 PetForums VIP

Recently due to my cats going out more I've decided looking into 3 yearly would be a better option (previously, I didn't vaccinate after the one year old booster).

My question is, how do you stop your vet doing the full course again every three years if they believe it should be done yearly? Can you ask for it to be a booster?

Any more info?

2. Ceiling Kitty

Ceiling Kitty Hides away from much through humour...

Just tell them you'd like the booster only, without restarting the course. :)

3. happysaz133

happysaz133 PetForums VIP

Oh silly me, I didn't realise they would actually do that!

4. Sherylina

Sherylina PetForums Member

I personally vaccinate my cats every year but if you don't want to vaccinate unnecessarily the best way to measure your cats immunity it to ask for a titre test every year which will measure the antibodies your cat has. I believe it takes about 3 years of vaccinations to get a decent titre reading but have heard that after the first 3 years people have even gone up to 5 years before the levels drop enough to warrant a booster.

Its no good simply saying you will vaccinate every 3 years or not after 1 year or whatever as that is simply guesswork and titre tests will tell you exactly if your cat needs it or not.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice