Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cats and the Heat?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by IndysMamma, Jun 27, 2010.

1. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

Just wondering if anyone had had issues with their cats and the warm weather?

Indy has kept breaking into the conservatory and last week managed to overheat until he was sleepy, pale and threw up. Poor lad wasn't impressed with being wet all over with a tepid flannel but he did drink plenty of cool (but not cold) water and was soon alright again. We have now found a way to lock the conservatory during the day.

Yesterday the water fountain (Cat-It dome) broke, unless you held the wire at a certain angle the pump stopped. We simply turned it off and left it as a bowl but in the evening (after I went to bed) mum heard Gypsy crying at the bowl, despite it being full. She was licking at the dry dome and crying loudly. It wasn't until my brother plugged it in and held the wire just right so it worked that she drank and then she drank for 10 solid minutes! poor baby had probably not drunk anything since 11am if she wasn't drinking still water.

This morning we bought a Cat Mate 3 level fountain from Pets At Home and she is once again very happy, though it is a lower water volume so we are trying to replace the pump and wire on the Cat-It one too.

[​IMG]

#1 IndysMamma, Jun 27, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  2. Wendy1969

Wendy1969 PetForums Member

My three have been flaked out all day, just mooching about and snoozing. I've considered giving them all a haircut but can't cut Alfie as he's going to a show at the end of July :( Poor thing. We went and bought a pop-up gazebo today just to make a bit more shade in the garden. It'll probably p**s down now :001_cool: But then Gravesend has been the hottest place in the country today

3. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Mine are all flaked out! Not interested in much food just lying around, although we have a nice breeze here today, although it's not great when you cannot open the windows due to escaping cats. :rolleyes:

4. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

ours hasnt been to bad a little lathargic. And had the odd pant if hes been chasing flies to hard but fine after a few secs.

5. Cazza1974

Cazza1974 PetForums VIP

We have been out most of today. But I put some biscuits and water out for Dorrie and when I came home her biscuits were untouched and the water had been.
    Her appetite is a bit off, but then I don't feel like eating much in this weather either.

6. bekki_s

bekki_s Banned

Eli hasn't stopped, i think the warm weather's makin him hyper!

7. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Mine seem to be finding all the cool spots in the house to sleep. So Im finding cats under desks, on tables, and other places they dont normally sleep!
    They still have the catrun to use and luckily it is in shade from 11.00am so its perfect for the cats and dogs.:thumbup:

8. NEW2CATS

NEW2CATS PetForums VIP

my 2 have woken up at 4am the last 2 nights - do you think it is down to the heat or are they just being pains in the backside!?!?

9. Baby British

Baby British PetForums VIP

My two have been slobbing out on the cool floor tiles down stairs ( Layla usually with legs akimbo - the girl has no shame :rolleyes: ) since the weather has been warm. This morning Layla adopted the prime position directly infront of the fan!

10. merothe

merothe PetForums Senior

Mine have been drinking buckets of water - I now top up their bowl twice a day rather than every 2/3 days (but some of that will be down to evaporation).

There isnt much i can do - they are indoor cats and i live on first floor so have opened all windows they cant reach. but still when i come home from work they are in the hottest room :rolleyes:

When i get home I give them kitten milk straight out of the fridge and they love it

Mine arent interested in ice cubes. But my friends cats love ice - they eat it, play with it and even lie on it to cool off :001_cool:

11. Tje

Tje Banned

I don't know if you're aware... but you can buy reserve pumps from the Cat Mate (Pet Mate) company. You just phone them up and give them your CC details and they stick one in the post for you. I ordered one to keep as reserve as I have two cat mate fountains. They only cost about 10 pounds or so (including potage). Maybe less for you as I live in mainland Europe so will pay more on postage.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice