Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cats and glass tables

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Karic, May 22, 2017.

1. Karic

Karic PetForums Member

I have 2 indoor cats and I am thinking of replacing my wooden kitchen table with a glass topped one. Does anyone know if it will be marked by the cats claws. My cats are very active and always come up on the table for petting. (I don't eat at it!).

2. LJC675

LJC675 PetForums VIP

They shouldn't scratch the glass, if they are just running over them or standing on them. However if their feet are at all dirty or damp you will have loads of paw prints showing.

Joy84 likes this.
  3. Shrike

Shrike Brooke's faithful manservant

Glass is harder than the keratin claws are made of, so they won't scratch it. The problem would come with grit on their paws as quartz is slightly harder than glass - but as your cats are indoor only it won't be a problem.

4. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums Senior

I was hoping this was a photo thread! Glass shouldn't scratch from cat claws, so go ahead with your purchase & climb underneath with your camera!

PetloverJo and SpringDance like this.
  5. velvetpaw

velvetpaw PetForums Member

I have several glass tables and never seen a scratch, so I think you could definitely go ahead with the purchase. I have done the camera thing as suggested above to monitor her rear end for some problems. Of course my cat found this quite indignant.

6. Bilai

Bilai PetForums Senior

I have a glass coffee table which Milo definitely walks around on lol. No scratches but lots of paw prints and visible fluff.

We have to wipe it down every day. If it was a dinner table would probs have to wipe down before and after every meal!

7. SpringDance

SpringDance PetForums VIP

There are some very cute photos online taken from underneath looking at the cat sitting of lyin on the glass table:Cat

8. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Yes glass will be fine, but I can imagine you will need to buy lots of wiping clothes for paw prints. My cats have a thing for my windows! Paw prints and wet nose marks constantly.

Welcome to the forum also it compulsory to upload a few photos :Smuggrin of your cats.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice