Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cats and Foxes

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by impulce, Aug 16, 2009.

1. impulce

impulce PetForums Member

We live in a nice area with lots of other cats around but there also seems to be alot of urban foxes. If you look out of the window at night you're almost guaranteed to see one trotting around. I like wildlife and appreciate them as wild animals, but yesterday one of my cats was out until about midnight and we were up in the living room, and we heard cat-fighting noises (not uncommon with so many cats around) so ran outside to see millie and a fox!

She's fine with no bites or anything, but i dread to think what would happen if we werent there as shes not very good at defending herself even against our other kitten!

Is a fox likely to hurt/kill a cat, or is it just a territory scrap? Is there anything i can do to deter foxes, but not cats? I always get them in before we go to bed at night but with the nice weather we have the french windows open so she's staying out later than usual.

2. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I'm not sure what you can do to deterr a fox to be honest. When they want something they usually get it.

My cat was killed by foxes 3 years ago. They cleaved his head from his body, we never did find his head.

My other cat Smokey went missing one night and came home the next morning with her back legs ripped to shreds. We think she was trying to jump on a wall when the foxes got to her.

3. Angelic1

Angelic1 PetForums Member

That's awful...poor cats and poor you! I didn't realise that foxes attacked cats. :eek:

Impulce - sounds like your cat had a lucky escape!

4. borderer

borderer Guest

get a gun and shoot it problem solved:eek:hmy:

5. impulce

impulce PetForums Member

Oh dear sequeena that sounds awful :(

Im really worried now, i think i'll just have to make sure i get her in around 10/11pm before the foxes all come out.

6. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I have 5 cats, and there are a minimum of 4 foxes in my area, one of which is a vixen with cubs.

The foxes take no notice of my cats at all. One of mine will even sit outside about 6ft from the fox, and show no signs of fear.

The large majority of foxes wont tackle a cat unless they are starving. Many so called "victims" are often RTA's that have been picked up and scavanged.

Im sure a fox will take a cat if desperate, but its not common.

7. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Don't panic, like Nonnie said they only usually do it when they are desperate because cats put up one hell of a fight. Would you attack a flying furball with claws?

The foxes where I live stay on the beach and only come into the estate when they are desperately hungry, they must have come across my little boy who wouldn't hurt a fly and cornered him :(

My mother has been so traumatised by it that the cats are out in the morning and in by 12 :(

8. Midnight

Midnight PetForums VIP

We have loads of Foxes down our road my Hubby goes out to work at 2 in the morning ( every morning ) and sees the foxes sitting in our road with our cats a stones throw away he says they are totally indifferent to each other !! ;)

9. impulce

impulce PetForums Member

Good to hear of people who have had cats and foxes close by with no issues!
    Its worrying that this one started on millie and could do it again, but i have a feeling its because wed been out to a wedding earlier and couldnt get her in so id put a bowl of catfood outside for her - the fox was maybe defending the food as opposed to attacking millie to kill her. Will still be being more careful about the time we get her in!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice