Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

cats and eczema

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by celicababe1986, Mar 25, 2011.

1. celicababe1986

celicababe1986 PetForums VIP

Hi all.
    mY 15 Month old daughter was diagnosed with eczema and asthma (sp) 2 months ago, She has this steroid cream for the bad areas and emo cream for the rest of her body. The steroid cream is only meant to be used for two weeks. everytime we finish this dose it comes back with avengence. The worst areas are her face, neck, hands, arms, back and tummy.
    It is very sore, often cracking and bleeding.

Now my doctor has done research into our lifestyle to find out why she has it so severe. He has said a factor maybe our cats.

So can I ask, does anyone have any experience with eczema +asthma with cats??
    any good sites with research?
    I am really really hoping this is not the case :(

2. 2lisa2

2lisa2 PetForums VIP

you could tell your doctor you want an allergy test done an then you would no for sure :)

3. celicababe1986

celicababe1986 PetForums VIP

What does that involve? He never offered this to me. :(

I am a bit confused by it, if it was due to them wouldnt it have shown up earlier?? she is 15 month old and they have been here for four years!!
    also they have no effect on my asthma!
    will look into it.

4. 2lisa2

2lisa2 PetForums VIP

its only a blood test my son had really bad excema until he was about 2 an then it went as quick as it come i would ask about an alergy test though just to see if it is some sort of allergy :)

5. Ally-Kats

Ally-Kats PetForums VIP

My son is 24 now and he has eczema, asthma and hayfever and has always lived with cats as we had them before he was born. He still suffers with all 3 conditions but they are not made worse by the cat. He adores cats and as a child he used to lay curled up with the cat, maybe he is lucky they don't affect him.

6. TatiLie

TatiLie PetForums VIP

I really sympathise with you as I was once in really bad condition with a series of dermatitis that later was diagnosed as 'severe allergy'. Was your daughter already examined for other conditions such food allergies and celiac disease? In this age is very common allergies from food sources like pork, eggs, wheat... You should take a deep look into it if she's having eruptions on inner elbows and knees and neck areas close to the ears. As far as I can remember my professor saying that reactions in those areas are very common in food allergy.

Female and neutered male cats produce less antigens. If your cats weren't neutered, this is another good reason to do it. Bedrooms should be off-limits to the cats.

I hope it helps.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice