Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cats and Dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by jayne5364, Apr 8, 2011.

1. jayne5364

jayne5364 PetForums VIP

Hi guys. I've always had dogs and cats together. My big old great dane was no problem, she was a puppy when I got her, sadly died 3 years ago with bone cancer. We also have/had a little mixed breed jack russell type who is almost 7 now. He went to live at my daughters in October, she was very attatched to the dog and the dog had been bought for her. He is thriving there, very settled indeed. 1sttime ever I've been without a dog and I so missed the walks, the company ect. I've been looking around for a while for a dog and now I found one. She is 18 month old german shepherd, an absolute sweetie. She come from a home where I'm sure she was loved but owners pretty ignorant to any dogs needs. She was advertised for £80 so I enquired. Priority is good with kids as I have young grankids. No worries on that score. They also had a cat and I saw her behaviour, nothing there to worry about. She had puppies 10 weeks ago which I was horrified about..must have been mated approx 13 to 14 months. "can't find" vaccination records but they think October time lol. I have her booked in today for a full health check, re-start vaccinations, flee and worm treatment. She is terrible on the lead so I have bought a halti. She hates it but control of her is so much easier and safer just for now. Sorry I'm rambling, just trying to give a little history here.
    As for the cats. They have never had a problem with dogs before, that said, the last dog I ever brough home was the jack x almost 7 years ago. My cats are now 2 at almost 15 and 1 at almost 10. The dogs a big one and they are probably just too old and grumpy. I have a 3 story house, so for now I have put all cat litter and food, water ect upstairs and they are free to roam up there. They are all house cats so never go outside anyway. I have a stair gate put up yesterday so they are safe. I'm hoping that natural intergration will happen as they get used to the smells around them and it will gradualy happen. Obviously I don't want my cats stuck upstairs permenantly. Any tips anyone can think of to help me along, I'd be very grateful.

2. jayne5364

jayne5364 PetForums VIP

Perhaps I'll ask in the cat section.

3. RobD-BCactive

RobD-BCactive PetForums VIP

What's the question? Are you saying the Cats are afraid of the new dog and avoiding it?

Or is the new dog, looking to chase them?

BTW People report other head collars being more comfy than the Halti Gentle Leader, the Halti harness is comfortable and can be liked without habituation to it.

4. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Just give them time to adjust. I have 2 cats & when I got Toby (GSD/Lab) they adjusted really well & quite quickly.

We then rehomed Roxy (GSD) who was alot younger than Toby & more excitable. Although she had lived with cats before & wasn't aggressive towards them but did want to play with the cats ..... they had other ideas!

It did take longer for them to adjust. As you have, we had a baby gate up so the dogs couldn't go upstairs, we also bought a couple of Feliway diffusers to help with the cats stress. We tried to encourgae them to come downstairs so we could have supervised meets & Roxy was always leashed when they were around so she couldn't start chasing them.

She still gets a bit much for them occasinally, she likes to lick Winnie for some reason & she brings them her toys to play with but now the cats are more confident around her they stand their ground & 'tell her off' if she starts to annoy them.

Just don't let you rnew dog get in to any habits where she starts chasing them as it can then become a game which she may like but the cats definitely won't enjoy!

5. jayne5364

jayne5364 PetForums VIP

Thanks for the replies. On the head collar..it's actualy a gentle leader I bought. Keep calling it a halti as thats what I used with my Dane. She has actualy taken pretty well to the gentle leader, she is like a different dog in the week we have had her. She walks beautifuly, considering she has never been walked before. Garden was the exercise in her previous home.
    The cats don't seem stressed, they are quite happy upstairs but would the stress reliever help during the "meets". Has to be worth a shot. The cats were sitting on the stairs this morning behind the gate, nearest they have been all week. I've rubbed towels on them and left that on the dogs bed. Also rubbed a towel on the dog and left it on the cats bed. All quiet for now. I'm guessing it's just a waiting game. Thanks for the suggestions.

6. Mama Sass

Mama Sass PetForums Senior

It took our cat Otto ages to get used to Basil our border terrier. Cats are very sensitive so they will hide out for a while but given time I think they eventually work it out for themselves. And by time I mean months, not weeks (in our case anyway!) :)

Sounds like you have done the right thing by giving the cats a safe place that they can escape to if needed. Otto spends his time up high, on the kitchen table, on top of the fridge, on window sillls etc cos he knows Basil can't reach him there! And Otto definitely has the upper hand - the minute he realised that he could bop Basil on the nose to stop any nonsense he didn't look back!

They have come to tolerate each other quite well - Basil wants to play and Otto just wants to be left alone which can cause issues - but it has been over a year since we got Basil and they eventually worked it out without too much interference from us.

Hope this helps...

:)

7. tripod

tripod PetForums VIP

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice