Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cats and Dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by jilldaniel, May 24, 2010.

1. jilldaniel

jilldaniel PetForums Junior

Help! I've recently taken home a 9 month old cocker spaniel cross, who is chasing our cats. I know this sounds niave but I thought after a week or so they'd be getting on fine. I've had dogs and cats before with no problems, and have had other people's dogs stay here and they were all fine too. So I wasnt prepared at all and haven't done what I now realise I should have!
    Please can someone tell me what I need to do now. The dog goes crazy in a crate so I don't think I can get him in one of those. I've kept him on a lead when the cats are around but he just barks and tries to get at them.
    Jill

2. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

The cats need a safe place and they need to get used to the dog being around, the dog needs to know it isnt acceptable to harass the cats at all. We always put a baby gate up when intorducing a new cat or new dog so the cat can get through the gate and still be around the dog only safely.

3. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

my cocker is exactly the same with our cats. We have had him from 9 weeks old but he just wants to chase her and barks madly whenever she comes in the house. We have split the house in half, the cat is living upstairs and the dog is living downstairs. They don't meet as there is one door and a stairgate to separate the two. We also put Ollie in a separate room or in his crate so he can't see her come into the house as he barks for england then.

Hope you find a solution.

4. WelshOneEmma

WelshOneEmma PetForums VIP

We have had our rescue pup about 4 weeks now and we are only now starting to get the cats comning downstairs. Two of the cats hold their own and she is wary, whilst the third cat is still very nervous. In fact the pup chased the nervous one and one of the others ran in and battered the crap out of the pup. We tell her no every time that she runs to the cats, and allow them to batter her regularly and she is learning, but i have a feeling it will be at least 6 months before we see a notable difference.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice