Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

cats and dogs... how do i get them to 'get on'?

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by siany09, Jun 29, 2009.

1. siany09

siany09 PetForums Newbie

hi i have posted this in the dog section also but as i have 3 gorgeous girl moggys i thought it would be great to see if someone may be able to offer some advice here.
    my 13 week old shih tzu puppy daisy will not stop barking at my 3 moggy's (that is when they do venture back into the house) initially when we fetched her home (12 days ago) the cats just went out and only came in when they couldnt see her. (the cats are 10,8 and 4) im not expecting miracles and know it takes time but the cats leave her alone until she is in the same rooms as them. the dog chases over to where they are and will bark and bark at them. the cats will also hiss and occasionally spit at her (as you would expect them too). their tales do not fluff though (although one is a scardey manx!!)

my cats have always been my babies each has their own ways (as most do!!!) and i still have been making sure that each has their time with me and sleep in their favourite spots etc is there anything i can do to help them accept the dog? they have accepted each other better than the dog when each was introduced. i just want them all to be able to tolerate the dog im not expecting them to sit in front of the fire like the advert!! many thanks

2. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Umm, this sounds like a dog issue not a cat issue - if a dog continually chased at and barked at me I'd hiss at it too. I think you need to train your dog NOT to bark at or rush up to the cats. They sound very sensible to me - the dog needs to be careful or she may get a scratched nose! If they are in the same room as the dog voluntarily then it sounds like they have accepted her - they are just trying to teach her some manners. She may only be 13 weeks old but I believe in starting as you mean to go on, otherwise you'll never snap her out of it.

I would put your dog on a lead and take her into the room where the cats are and everytime she tries to go towards the cats or barks at them I would correct her.

Good luck and I hope you crack it soon.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice