Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cats and curtains?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by seasidejules, Aug 17, 2009.

1. seasidejules

seasidejules PetForums Newbie

Hello again, just another query if I may! I am planning to adopt a kitten at the end of next month and have floor length curtains in the living room. Preventing access to this room is not an option and I do understand that he/she will want to climb them!

Naturally some training will be required, and I have got a scratching post for purposes of 'redirection', but I wondered whether anyone had any tips on this matter?

All advice much appreciated and very welcome! Thanks xx

2. KittyKat1

KittyKat1 PetForums Member

MySugar likes this.
  3. Scoob

Scoob PetForums Member

We tried all sorts but nothing worked, Bax (who is now 7 months old!) still likes to climb occassionally and because we had velvetty kind of material curtains when you go down in the morning in daylight you get a really nice star show on the carpet from all the little holes!!!!!! He's a very clever cat, I'm sure we've found the big dipper and orion's belt in the display!!!!!!

4. Lulu's owner

Lulu's owner PetForums VIP

I would take the curtains down until the kittens have grown up and just put some cheap ones up temporarily, maybe from the charity shop. Talking of curtains, I remember twenty years ago I bought some beautiful cotton lace curtains, handmade on Victorian looms - big mistake! The cats tore them to shreds, the kittens did it for fun and the adult cats chasing flies. Now I have blinds up that are quite translucent, and I leave about a foot of clear window space at the bottom so the cats can look outside without damaging anything.

5. Tillski

Tillski PetForums Member

We have voile nets up in our house; it’s rented so not our choice but if Tilly sees a fly or other insect around the window she will just pounce and claw anything it lands out – our nets are now looking a bit worse for wear and have to be replaced before the landlord sees! Wouldn’t want us getting a bad reference for Tilly! Luckily, they are only cheap ones and we are teaching her to stay away but I would definitely say that until the kitten is a bit older and used to using a scratching post don’t buy any expensive window dressing!

6. seasidejules

seasidejules PetForums Newbie

Thanks so much for the responses! Unfortunately, due to the nature of the curtains, post etc. they can't really be taken down, but I will definitely give the balloons idea a go. Mind you, I'm not sure who'll be more scared if one pops at 3am!

Aside from that, will just have to enact a patient training scheme I think!

Scoob, I have to say, your post made me laugh. A cat and Patrick Moore all rolled into one! Xx

7. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

Sheldon has never given me any trouble with climbin curtains. he hasnt even looked at them as if hes thinkin bout it. he was more bothered bout sittin on the top of door lol

fingers crossed your curtains survive lol

8. Faerie Queene

Faerie Queene PetForums Member

I'm on my 3rd set of nets, in 3 years.:(
    I'm also in rented, and as long as I leave a decent set of nets when I move on - well, hopefully, the landlady will see sense!
    I had wondered about blinds, but never thought of translucent ones - thanks for that tip, Lulu's owner.:)

9. Lulu's owner

Lulu's owner PetForums VIP

(Semi)translucent blinds are great, but a bit hard to find, and maybe a bit dear for rented, unfortunately, depending on size of your windows. Mine were from John Lewis. As I mentioned before you can leave a little gap at the bottom for curious felines and even when they're flyhunting they don't do any harm because they stick their heads up in the gap between the window and the blind. I remember about twenty five years ago there was a fashion for blinds with lacy patterns that looked just like net curtains, they were good and very cheap and cheerful from places like Argos. You never know, maybe they'll come back into style one day. These newer sort look like plainish voiles.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice