Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cats and birds??

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Cat_Crazy, May 31, 2010.

1. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

One of my cats just brought home a live bird :eek:

Managed to save the baby bird and take it back to next door where the nest is but I was wondering what I can do to stop this hapening again?

I have 5 cats that go outdoors, all wear bell's on their collar but Lola is particular is a fantastic hunter.

Next door's garden is bird paradise and they have many young fledglings that are vunerable and just learning to fly.

I really don't want my cats killing them but don't know how to stop it.

I have found things like cat alert but they are expensive when I have so many to buy for so hoping someone has a cheap soluntion??

2. Lucia39

Lucia39 PetForums Newbie

I've put a reply to this in the Birds forum - sorry didn't find this until just now.

Lucia

3. katie200

katie200 PetForums VIP

in the summer i just keep smokey in untell about 5 oclock and then let him out it stops him from getting them

4. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

You could also try feeding him before he goes out, if you don't allready. Sorry if thats an obvious one!

5. Staysee

Staysee PetForums VIP

Feeding before letting them out wont work, believe me!

We've done all we can to stop our kittens catching birds and rodents and reptiles....but nothing works, some cats are just amazing hunters and theres nothing you can do to stop it apart from keep them in, which we wont do cos they enjoy it out so much

6. GreyHare

GreyHare Guest

Bells on collar don't tend to work as a stalking cat is so slow and careful the bell doesn't sound until they pounce and by that time it's usually to late. They are just doing what is natural to them.

7. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

Thanks for the advice.

We do feed her before she goes out and she has lots of bells.

It got a lot worse today sadly.

I had a knock on my door from a very panicked lady who had just watched my cat carry off her rabbit :eek:

I chased her and got it back but the poor thing was already dead :(

On further investigation we found that she had broken through the rabbit run. There was one rabbit still alive but with part of it's leg missing and she then ran off with the baby one that died.

I don't know what I can do to stop her.

There is no way she will stay indoors and is so desperate to go out that she is attempting to climb through the letterbox!

At the same time she can't go round doing this.

The wild bird was upsetting enough but this was someone's pet.

What can I do to stop this???

8. hawksport

hawksport Banned

Apart from keeping her in I don't think there's much you can do but if you don't stop her someone will

9. $hAzZa

$hAzZa Shan

10. ShannonLouise.

ShannonLouise. PetForums Senior

:eek: ahh we had the same problem with our girl Mia!
    She brought in a live bird through the window one morning this week and it was hopping under our sofa.. but the birdy had already broke its wings so it died under our tree :(
    Day after that she brought in a dead bird.

11. $hAzZa

$hAzZa Shan

I guess it can't be helped too much, cats are predatory animals and it's only natural. Some cats just have a higher prey drive than others :( x

12. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

There's no way I could keep her in.

She is always in at night but she is just not happy if not allowed out.

It's the rabbits that is the big issue, I can't believe she broke in to their hutch and they were pretty big as well!

13. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Can you not cat proof the garden?

14. coco-flo

coco-flo PetForums Junior

Bird killing is one thing but rabbits? I would try to cat proof your garden if you can. My cats are indoor cats but they go out with us in the garden and they are very interested in the birds and the birds actually tease the cats!!! But i dont think my neighbour would be to pleased if they killed their rabbits!!! Its a hard one but someone will stop the cat if you dont.Hope you can sort it out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice