Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cats ability to recognise anxiety?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Spirited_Violet, Mar 22, 2021.

1. Spirited_Violet

Spirited_Violet PetForums Member

Long story short, a lot of upcoming big changes are happening in my life and its been resulting in the odd nightmare, this one causing me to wake up with palpitations.

Anyway, Freya pawed at the door to come in, and when I let her in, she started chirping, I was lying down taking deep breaths trying to calm myself down, and she jumped onto the bed, nuzzling into me purring and pushing her head into my hands.

When I stopped petting her, she then climbed onto me further insisting that I pet her whilst she purred.

She stayed with me until I calmed down.

As dumb as it sounds it like she was trying to help me, she stayed with me for just shy of half an hour.

I've heard stories about cats being able to recognise illnesses like dogs can but it still often gestures to cats being aloof to emotions but idk.. do you think she was reacting to me not feeling right?

Anyone with similar experiences?

TriTri and Jenbob21 like this.
  2. Spirited_Violet

Oh whoops, maybe this belonged in behaviour...

3. Ringypie

Ringypie PetForums VIP

Ohh absolutely! With everything I’ve been through in the last 9 months the boys have been amazing. And it’s not only the cats, my horse just knows too. It’s lovely to have such a close relationship with them that they care too!

TriTri and Spirited_Violet like this.
  4. tyg'smum

tyg'smum PetForums Senior

My first cat was very sensitive to my moods when I was feeling depressed - exactly as you describe. And many years later my girl Rosie sat with me for hours as I cried after my mother died: I am convinced she was trying to comfort me.

5. Raleigh

Raleigh PetForums Newbie

I don't think it's dumb! After all, recognising changes in behaviour among companions is a valuable survival trait. Freya might not have known specifically that you were anxious, but I imagine she could tell something was out of the ordinary and was trying to soothe you in a way she understood. It's a testament to the bond she must have with you.

It reminds me of a housemate's cat I used to live with. When I was ill, he'd force his way into my room and sit on me, purring away. He might just have been hoping to cajole an early breakfast out of me, but I choose to believe he knew something was up with one of his people.

Spirited_Violet likes this.
  6. Douglas’ Dad

Douglas’ Dad PetForums Senior

Of course cats understand when we are low. They are little furry healing balls like that for us.

7. Spirited_Violet

That's honestly amazing and adorable! And wow your horse too!

That's so sweet, for how little they ask, they give so much back.

Ohh! I wasn't aware it was a survival trait.
    And I think he was looking out for you!

I guess it just came as a shock to me. Freyas still a kitten but still picked things up and acted the way she did.
    I also love the term "little furry healing ball" and am adding that to "ways to describe my cat".

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice