UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,this might seem like a strange thing to talk about but recently went into pet's at home and saw a bottle of catnip,i'd never really bothered before so thought i'd get some for Our cat's.Anyway,Gizzy was running around like crazy,bouncing off walls etc,then Claremont started too but when they went near each other they started fighting,they have never had a fight before.At first it looked like they were playing but Gizzy did a few high pitched squeels which dint sound good.Ive now stopped using it.Is this normal?Is it dangerous in anyway to the cats???:confused1:

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
it affects different cats in different ways...

Indy gets loopy on it and rolls around and acts like a happy drunk but in fast forward... he even seems to get a hangover but is happy whilst it's in effect.

Misha bless him... he used to get very loving and sweet and affectionate on it.

Mabel doesn't get affected at all

·
Registered
16,428 Posts
Nepeta cataria ("catnip", "catswort" or "catmint") is mostly used as a recreational substance for feline enjoyment. Around 2 out of every 3 cats will be affected by the plant, and approximately 2 hours after an exposure, the feline will be sensitive to another dose. Whether it is growing in the wild or harvested and dried, felines will be affected by the plant. The common behaviors that are observed are: rubbing on the plant, rolling on the ground, drooling, or consuming much of the plant. It is said that felines are affected by the smell of the plant more than anything. Felines have such a strong sense of smell that they can detect the chemical nepetalactone, which is the main active ingredient in Nepeta cataria. This chemical enters the feline's nose, and produces semi-hallucinogenic[2] effects on the cat. Catnip has a history of human medicinal use for its soothing effects. The plant has been consumed as a tea, juice, tincture, infusion, or poultice and has been smoked.[3] Also, when the active oils in the plant are isolated and refined, they supposedly work as a mosquito repellant.[4] Catnip can also be smoked recreationally, and when combined with tobacco and other herbs, provides a "minty" taste and mild intoxicating effects.[
- From Wikipedia

Mine go nuts for this!! They charge around after each other, play fight, charge off again, doesn't matter what's in their way it just get pushed over ... the poor dog just sits there feeling very left out!

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haha,yeah our cats are like that it's just when they got together they started fighting.One minute they were playing on their own the next minute they were scrapping.It doesn't say about any effects on the bottle so was wondering if anyone else's cats starting fighting?Maybe i should try them again,see if they are ok and hopefully not fight again.They were so funny bouncing off the walls until they scrapped :lol:

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i tried both cats with it again today,they were fine for 20 minutes pouncing around but again,they started fighting :confused1: maybe one of them has some sort of weird reaction to it?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Neither of mine are interested in it. They won't go near the catmint I planted for them and they won't touch any toys I bought for them with it in!

·
Registered
16,428 Posts
I think they just get such a surge of energy that they don't know what to do with it. My two sort of play fight then it turns a bit more than that then they stop ..... then one will pounce on the other, then it all starts again. They are both as bad as each other, there's never any bullying. I just let them get on with it.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think they just get such a surge of energy that they don't know what to do with it. My two sort of play fight then it turns a bit more than that then they stop ..... then one will pounce on the other, then it all starts again. They are both as bad as each other, there's never any bullying. I just let them get on with it.
That's what our cats are like,they are mother and daughter and have never fought before but after a sniff of catnip they fight then stop then start again,at which point i take one cat and lock her in a room for a few mins to calm down.Do you think i should just leave them to it then?

·
Registered
993 Posts
Mine fight if there are too many near the catnip - they seem to defend their little fix, we just leave them too it, they have a pecking order so sort themselves out!!
It's weird stuff though, some of mine love it and some aren't affected by it at all, I've got 18 cats and I'd say about 12 of them love it! It has the same effect on big cats too - I wouldn't want to get near a high tiger on it!!!!:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
My cat loves the stuff, its hysterical watching her on it. When I get it I usually stitch up a little bag out of an old t-shirt.

I remember one morning I woke up and the stuff was everywhere in my kitchen and she looked up at me and tilted her head and it was all over her face :lol: As if to say thanks for the great party, I really enjoyed myself!!

It's good for them, I'm sure I read it helps prevent heart conditions and strokes. Though I believe in moderation is the key, just like human stimulants....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.