Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

catnip vs silvervine

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by csut, Apr 29, 2020.

1. csut

csut PetForums Junior

as a Non-Catnip-Reacting-Cat-Owner (to give us our technical name) I was doing a bit of research into why some cats don't respond to catnip, and found the above quote in an article.

have any fellow NCRCO's out there experimented with silvervine or the exotic sounding Tartarian honeysuckle? did your cat like them?

I love watching my bro's cat roll around in delerium when it goes near catnip, but my one doesn't even blink...

NB: did a search for similar threads and didn't find anything that recent or relevant...sorry if there is one I should've bumped instead

lorilu likes this.
  2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I've tried both. One cat (now an Angel) had limited interest in the honeysuckle. No cat has ever shown any interest in the silvervine.

One current cat likes the smell of peppermint and will play with one of those little peppermint candies wrapped in plastic for a day or two before losing interest.

I should mention, none of these cats are in the NCRCO club,but they are Cat Nip Snobs, since I grow our own. They like Yeeoww brand and they liked a brand that is no longer available, but other than those, it's Home Grown or nothing. :D

chillminx and csut like this.
  3. csut

csut PetForums Junior

catnip snobs, ahah

interesting none of yours reacted to silvervine...although maybe if they enjoy the real thing then there's no need for substitutes!

peppermints, might try that...thanks

lorilu likes this.
  4. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

Mine loves catnip - has his own catnip plant in the garden ! Plus he also thinks that valerian is just the best thing ever :D:D
    Tried him with silvervine toys, but after the first sniff he lost interest :rolleyes:

csut likes this.
  5. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

Annie loves all the drugs: silver vine, valerian and catnip. She’s a proper little stoner.

Pinto, TriTri, white_shadow and 2 others like this.
  6. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I bought a valerian toy once. It was in the house for less than 30 seconds, what a stink lol. I posted it as "free to a good home" on a cat forum I belonged to at the time, and was able to send it on to someone else, but it lived outside until I mailed it. Phew!

TriTri and chillminx like this.
  7. csut

csut PetForums Junior

maybe another case of a catnip reactor not settling for 2nd best?!

lol!

my Rocky sometimes looks like he is (see profile pic...that's on nothing but fresh air)

ChaosCat likes this.
  8. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

I run a business (currently dormant as I have 0 time to make things) called FatBadCat, and did a lot of experimenting with various cat drugs. I found that Silvervine tends to act on more cats, but more specifically on those who do not react to catnip. I also have done a mixture of some reactants (secret recipe of course) to produce Rocket Fuel, which does exactly what it says on the tin. I haven't yet met a cat who doesn't show an interest in it, and while the reactions range in ferocity, they do all react.

It's definitely worth trial and error with your cat to see what they will go for and what not.

csut likes this.
  9. csut

csut PetForums Junior

Rocket Fuel, nice idea! (I remember a coffee from years ago called that, and it also did what it said on the tin o_O). how/when/where do you sell it?

this is interesting... seems to fit with what was said up the page by lorilu and Bertie'sMum as well. think Rocky might like it...

10. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

All 4 of my cats love cat nip (either home grown in a pot, or the Yeowww make of catnip cat toys).

None of them reacted to silver vine.

None of them likes valerian, (lucky for me, as I can't stand the smell of valerian!:Yuck)

A couple of them get excited by the scent of cat thyme, which I've grown in a pot, from seed bought a few years ago on ebay.

Babyshoes and csut like this.
  11. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Meeko totally ignores catnip but does like Valerian especially the really strong stuff :Woot.He still has one made by a member many years ago (it still stinks) who no longer is around , many long standing members will remember her ..... @Aurelia
    Matatabi sticks he will play with for quite a while until he has made them soaking wet and then stomps off leaving them to be cleared away by the staff :Yuck............https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vidillo-Matatabi-Natural-Cleaning-Healthy/dp/B07DNB2NB5/ref=sr_1_4?crid=284VKDGDJ987V&dchild=1&keywords=silvervine+sticks&qid=1588181281&sprefix=silver+vine,aps,173&sr=8-4

csut and chillminx like this.
  12. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

Most of my cats do not react to either substance except perhaps to sniff the lid of the catnip when I open the jar. One also plays with his catnip sack for a while some evenings.

I have a rather strange question. Some of you may have seen pics of my friends' Maine Coon EmJay who is one of the cats who tests my prototypes. He has some toys with silvervine although I don't advertise it because it is very expensive compared with catnip so the toys would cost too much. He seems to have an allergy which is under control with a fairly high dose of steroids. Whenever the vet tries to decrease the dose he chews his forearms raw.

Has anybody heard of a cat being allergic to contact with silvervine? This afternoon he has been playing with his silvervine starfish and chewed himself again. This coincides with a reduction in his steroid but I did wonder if he could be allergic to silvervine.

csut likes this.
  13. lillytheunicorn

lillytheunicorn PetForums VIP

Mine loved you rocket fuel @carly87
    I though the Norwegians were NCRC unlike our mogs who adore it, turned out they were just cat nip snobs. They only like the really expensive strong catnip but prefer valerian. I have tried silver vine leaves which they love but the silver vine sticks were completely rejected..

csut likes this.
  14. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. I would take it out of the house.

15. carolmanycats

carolmanycats PetForums VIP

Mine vary, some prefer catnip, some silvervine and some valerian but the valerian gets the biggest reaction, you just have to be able to put up with the smell lol

csut likes this.
  16. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

I use the Kong catnip in my catnip mice and catnip cushions, three and a half teaspoons, which is rather a lot. I’ve only come across 3 cats that have ignored them, one a kitten and two very sick cats. It does have a use by date. I’ve put the mice in the washing machine before now and found them to still have an effect on the cats.

I’m currently concerned about my cat Max, as I seriously think he has some addiction to the catnip. He stands on the edge of a table, facing towards the shelving where I keep the tins of catnip. He gets desperate for some & has his own tin and won’t stop yeowling until I take a tiny bit out for him. He does this about twice overnight, waking me and he also has two pots of fresh in the garden & the mice in the garden. I remember Chillminx saying to be careful with it, as it can be a diuretic, so I limit him to once nightly, but still worry that could be too much. Is he an addict @chillminx/ anyone? I can’t make the toys when he is home, as he would do anything to get to them and take them.

#16 TriTri, Apr 30, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    csut likes this.
  17. csut

csut PetForums Junior

good point, I wouldn't want my cat to be constantly demanding silvervine if I introduced it to him...

thanks for the replies people, some food for thought here

TriTri likes this.
  18. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@TriTri - I've found that if a cat eats cat nip every day it can have a laxative effect on them. It may not affect Max that way though....

The most usual side effect of it being eaten is that it acts as a sedative. I don't think there is any evidence it is physically addictive...

Does Max actually eat it, or just sniff it and roll in it?

19. Joy84

Joy84 PetForums VIP

Phoebe doesn't react to catnip at all.
    She loves valerian and absolutely adores silvervine toys (sticks do nothing for her).
    She'll roll around and rub herself on the silvervine toy and it makes her drool like crazy :Hilarious

#19 Joy84, Apr 30, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    csut, TriTri and chillminx like this.
  20. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

Thank you. He eats it! I thought he may just be attention seeking during the night, but he leans over and up towards the high shelf it is on (out of his reach). When I take the lid off and go to put it on his blanket, he almost swipes to get at it quickly, as though he can’t wait for it to be put down quick enough. Because he toilets outdoors, I don’t know what other effects it has on him.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice