Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Catching a stray cat

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by lenanowa, Apr 15, 2019 at 3:02 PM.

1. lenanowa

lenanowa PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

I've been observing this forum for a while (I'm about to adopt a cat). In the meantime though, I noticed a neighbourhood stray cat yesterday who looked poorly. He moved all right, but had a wound behind his ear (probably got into a fight), matted fur and his eyes were possibly infected.

I contacted RSPCA and their advice was to, well, wear thick gloves, catch him and take him to a vet (so helpful).

Questions:

1. I ordered a plastic carrier online and am hoping to lure him inside with food, unless anyone has any other/better ideas? Unfortunately I only have until Thursday to get anything done, I'll be away for a few weeks afterwards.

2. I don't have a car, so taking him to a vet would be problematic (that's assuming I actually manage to catch him). I could ask RSPCA to pick him up, but I heard some conflicting opinions. Does anyone know any other charities that could help? I'm in South West London.

2. Shrike

Shrike Brooke's faithful manservant

Try Cats Protection, hopefully they'll be more proactive. Otherwise you can find smaller charities on CATCHAT.ORG
    you'll need to make sure they know you have no transport.

chillminx likes this.
  3. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

4. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

For South West London your nearest Cats Protection is the rehoming centre at Mitcham - their contact details are

Units 3+4 Boundary Business Court
    92-94 Church Road
    Mitcham
    Surrey
    CR4 3TD

Email: [email protected]
    Telephone:
    03000 120 285

please don't just turn up with the cat (as they are usually full !), but give them a call beforehand and they should be able to arrange for someone to come out and catch/collect the cat.

Soozi likes this.
  5. lenanowa

This is great, thanks everyone!

6. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

I have dealt with many strays over the years. We have a lady who volunteers for cat protection. She has had to recently trap a cat that we could never get close too he was in a bad way. It took a couple of weekends but eventually we caught him. He is now happily living with his foster mum. She couldn’t give him up for adoption. Have a word with your local cat protection they will be able to help you. We have Merlin’s friend still on the streets. But with it being kitten season and after Merlin was caught Simba disappeared for a while, it’s now kitten season, so poor Simba will have to wait for a space to become available. Some of the cats we had got friendly with so were easy to get into a cage. In the winter it’s easier to place boy strays.

Viv xx

murphydurphy likes this.
  7. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

3434D8F2-1457-491C-BBB5-DBD267644DC0.jpeg 3F625497-7FCB-44D9-ACFD-49229BB0E9AF.jpeg 85F41B47-914B-4E62-A2B5-657CBAC36D01.jpeg 78F0FE4C-3E2C-4ABF-AFE1-3AB61097DBBD.jpeg Here is Merlin. He was living in the pampas grass in our courtyard, when he was trapped he had to have his fur on his back shaved off as it was so badly matted. He did unfortunately start to have fits, he was treated for this. He is now happily living with his foster mum.
    Here he is now looking much better and much happier.

Viv xx
    6EED680F-108C-4FAB-A59E-9421A0010DE1.jpeg

8. Quartermass

Quartermass PetForums Senior

I love Merlin's jumper. Did he try to bite it off?

vivien likes this.
  9. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

I don’t know his foster mum put it on him. It was during the cold spell so think he may have kept it on. His foster mum couldn’t give him up bless her.

Viv xx

10. lenanowa

This made me feel better, thank you :) I left some cat food outside this evening and stepped out when he was eating (btw, it might be a she, I don't know!). He was cautious and took a few steps away, but didn't run. I'll give the carrier a shot in the first instance, fingers crossed.

I contacted the local Cats Protection, so if the above doesn't work, I'll lend a trap from them (just need to make sure to catch the right cat, and not someone's pet!)

vivien likes this.
  11. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

When we put the trap out for Merlin, all the cats in the area decided it was worth the risk to go in to steal the Pilchards that Linzi put in. Our friend and volunteer for cat protection. She also has a scanner. So if a new cat turns up Linzi can scan it to see if it is local. But we were forever releasing and replenishing the trap. But patience paid off in the end. I hope you get the help you need with your little stray.

Viv xx

Soozi likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice