Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sign Up

catahoula leopard dog

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by kiara, Mar 31, 2011.


  1. kiara

    kiara PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2009
    Messages:
    1,522
    Likes Received:
    260
    Does anyone know of any breeders in the UK of this breed?

    I have tried google but have had no luck.

    Thanks :D
     
  2. Nicky10

    Nicky10 PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2010
    Messages:
    23,704
    Likes Received:
    1,282
    I don't think there are any over here or at least any breeding dogs.
     
  3. Starlite

    Starlite PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2009
    Messages:
    7,369
    Likes Received:
    229
    I dont think there is hun, arent they pretty rare in the US where they are from?
     
  4. kiara

    kiara PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2009
    Messages:
    1,522
    Likes Received:
    260
    They are originally from Louisiana. x
     
  5. Acacia86

    Acacia86 PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2008
    Messages:
    7,600
    Likes Received:
    277
    No i don't think there are. There wasn't when i looked a while ago.
     
  6. canuckjill

    canuckjill PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2008
    Messages:
    8,795
    Likes Received:
    444
    pretty common now in my province, unfortunately that has led to alot of them being crossed also....
     
  7. Nicky10

    Nicky10 PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2010
    Messages:
    23,704
    Likes Received:
    1,282
    I've been told they're pretty intense. High energy, very intelligent need a lot of mental stimulation ideally some kind of job. Not sure why they haven't been imported into the UK yet though.
     
  8. Dazadal

    Dazadal PetForums Member

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2010
    Messages:
    328
    Likes Received:
    4
    Please be aware that these dogs have the highest incidence of deafness of any breed. Much higher than in Dalmatians (which many people think are all deaf).
    I would hope that any breeder would be BAER hearing testing them. They have an up to an 80% chance, depending on face and coat patterns of being affected by deafness either unilaterally (one ear) or bilaterally both ears (so totally deaf) compare this to 20% affected (only 5% bilaterally) for UK Dalmatians
    Good luck with your search
     
    #8 Dazadal, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  9. adens leopard dog

    adens leopard dog PetForums Newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2012
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hallo,
    Still no breeders here?
     
    #9 adens leopard dog, Jul 7, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  10. dexter

    dexter PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2008
    Messages:
    6,255
    Likes Received:
    108
    do you still have him? love to see some pics if you have any
     
  11. adens leopard dog

    adens leopard dog PetForums Newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2012
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
     
    #11 adens leopard dog, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  12. Phoolf

    Phoolf PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2012
    Messages:
    8,888
    Likes Received:
    966
    I'd love get a catahoula at some point in the future, I wish someone would import and breed here in the UK so we could have our own little population of them. :(
     
  13. adens leopard dog

    adens leopard dog PetForums Newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2012
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    I waiting for him nearly 10years... Had him 2 years now and very happy.Cata forever.
    I know somewhere around Manchester is maybe some other leopard and one was imported on January from Nederland to UK. but dont know where is... Now i wait for other one... be female...
    Two Catahoula male is not good together.
    sorry for my language:/
     
  14. ouesi

    ouesi Guest

    Personally I would hate to see the Catahoula become a “pet” breed.
    Those who care about the breed still count working ability above anything else.

    They seem to be gaining in popularity in the US, but frankly I have my doubts as to how many of these dogs are true houlas or not. My guess is that many are mixed and wouldn’t know the first thing about what to do with a hog.

    They’re still a very rare breed - not even AKC yet. You can list them in the foundation stock service, but its not an AKC listed breed.
     
  15. adens leopard dog

    adens leopard dog PetForums Newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2012
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    Yes Ouesi i agree with you Cata is not pet breed
     
    #15 adens leopard dog, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice