Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat won't stop pooping next to litter box

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by milesaway1980, Dec 22, 2007.

1. milesaway1980

milesaway1980 PetForums Newbie

My wife and I are very frustrated. We've had a single cat home for quite a while and for our first anniversary, I got my wife another kitten (the first one was mine, or more so, I was his) so this cat was for her. We first noticed that he was pooping in the shower and the bathroom sink. It was irritating, but fortunately easy to clean up, and with patience and training we got him to stop. Now, however, he has resigned to pooping NEXT to the litter box. He will only use it when it is completely cleaned out and unused. We've been through three litter boxes, one with a door, one without a lid of any kind, and now a self cleaning one yet he just will NOT stop going to the bathroom on the floor next to the litter box. He was four months when we got him and is now seven months and we are near our wits end. I've gotten to where we're trying to clean the litter box two to three times a day for two cats just to keep him happy and it's not working.
    Our other cat has had one accident in his entire life when he was three weeks old so I'm not sure what to do. Any help and training advice would be great.

Some behavioral cues:
    He's a Russian Blue, who is very sweet and loving and adores my wife and I and loves our other cat. He only poops on the floor, but never pees. He KNOWS he's not supposed to, I know when he's done it because he will run and hide before I've even seen it. He also knows he's supposed to use the litter box because it's always right next to it, never in corners or other places around the house.

A second litter box is simply not an option, I won't even consider it. We can only bend over backwards so much for a cat, he needs to learn to obey the rules. *sigh* Please help, I don't want to get rid of him.

2. There is always a reason for cats doing this. Well......if the second box is not an option your cat may never stop doing it. The golden rule is one cat litter tray per cat plus one. Ideally you should have three in different parts/rooms. Have anyone noticed - most cats doing No 1 in one litter tray and No 2 - in another?

3. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

I agree with elena, a second litter tray would probably give you a solution. I'm sorry if this is not the answer you were hoping for, but I can't think of a better one.

4. may

may PetForums VIP

I agree with elena, a second litter tray would probably be the best solution.:)

5. Esined

Esined PetForums VIP

I agree with two litter trays. if he is doing his pee in there and not poo maybe it is the cat litter and not the litter trays you should be trying to change. my cats wont use wood pellets i think it hurts there feet:)

6. kleverkitty

kleverkitty PetForums Newbie

Hey all...You can get around this problem once and for all by training your cat to do the loo on your HUMAN toilet.. I use my downstairs loo and the guide did work.

Check out the link below:

CLICK HERE

7. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

my cats the same he hates the wood based ones I buy the light weight one he seems to prefer it

8. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

I'm no cat expert but maybe he don't like sharing the litter box with the other cat?
    Must admit, if i was a cat and i see a richard the third laying in the tray i had to use done by someone else ild rather go beside it :D

9. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

lol I can see your point and its a good one my female uses a different one to my male

10. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

ROFL , exactly lol.

11. Loe - you've got a very cattish mind!:D

SavannahKitten likes this.
  12. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

Hehehehe :D , ohh i mean meowwwWwWwW.

13. kitylovr

kitylovr PetForums Newbie

my cat does the same thing. i am about to throw her outside. we have THREE kitty litters so don't keep telling this guy that the only solution is to put more kitty litters out. we have tryed everything. it is really getting on my nevers so i know how you feel.

14. kitylovr

kitylovr PetForums Newbie

my cat does the same thing. i am about to throw her outside. we have THREE kitty litters so don't keep telling this guy that the only solution is to put more kitty litters out. we have tryed everything. it is really getting on my nevers so i know how you feel.

15. staceyscats1

staceyscats1 PetForums Senior

Hi

I would say you do need more than one litter tray as cats are VERY CLEAN animals and you will find they do prefer to wee in one and poo in another, also you may have to go back to basics as it may be that the cat as a young kitten didnt learn from his mother how to use the litter tray ! So when you see him going to wee or poo outside the litter tray place him init also when you see him eat or drink place him in the litter tray as soon as he has finished eating or drinking and he may get the idea.
    Good luck !

16. BlackCat

BlackCat PetForums Member

Hi

What do you use to clean the area? You need to remove all scent as if he can smell where he's been previously, he'll have more inclination to go there again. He won't really understand that he's done wrong, cats aren't spiteful (usually!), he's understanding more the negative body language you're displaying when you see the accident (I'm sure we've all rolled our eyes and tutted when we've found a nice present on the carpet :D)

Give that area of the carpet a good thorough clean with a solution of biological washing powder and water-use nothing ammonia based. Then a squirt of surgical spirit to really get into the fibres to remove the last traces (do a test on your carpet first before you use spirit).

As mentioned another tray or even a change in litter may help-cats are very clean, and in multi cat homes its worth having several trays. Basic training like you would with a young kitten can help in trying to get him remembering his litter training too. In the area where he's going the most, you could put a small piece of tin foil there. Cats don't like the noise or feel of this and it can help with inappropriate toiletting. Just be careful to use a fairly small piece only in the chosen area, otherwise you could spook him into not going near the tray at all.

It would also be worth trying a Feliway diffuser in case the problem is more stress related. This mimics the happy pheramone their mum would release when nursing to relax her young and make them feel secure. You can get the diffuser (use like the air freshners that you put into electric sockets) or sprays.

Good Luck :)

17. sexy erica

sexy erica PetForums VIP

my cat use do that but he not do it now as i kept sayin thats dirty&u have clean litter tray there but hes ok now.but i find that they can be bit fussy when want loo cos if its not 100%clean they dont use litter tray&do it on floor or next to u litter tray.do test&see if any beter or worser.

so i would say per cat u need litter trays for?
    i only have one cat&he fuzzy&madiey&dosent like me leaving him cos he crys non stop if he not on my lap&he hates goin out cos he crys sraight away as hes goes stright out side.

18. milesaway1980

milesaway1980 PetForums Newbie

Ok, so I'm at my wits end. I know it's been a while since I originally brought up the issue, but here's an update.
    My wife and I finally figured out a way to rearrange the kitchen and add a second litter box. They're not next to each other and each cat has his own box. My first cat, who has no issues using a little box, still goes in his regularly.

As for my second cat, we got him his own little box and the first day we brought it home, I set him in it and he immediately peed in it to mark it as his own. We, of course, couldn't have been more thrilled.

However....now all he does is poop next to his box instead of the old one. He WILL NOT GO IN IT. What in the world do I do? He pees in his new box without a second thought. The other cat also does not use his box so it is solely his. He still refuses to poop in it.

Anyone know what to do about this? I love my cat and he is a wonderful little guy, but one can only take so much of cleaning cat poop off of their kitchen floor twice a day every day for six months. It's enough frustration to toss him out on his ear and tell him to get lost and believe me, if I didn't like him so much it would have happened a long time ago.

Please, any help would be wonderful.

19. Lisa M

Lisa M PetForums Member

I think Blackcat covered everything here. Tinfoil is an excellent way! I have also used behaviour spray in areas where my cats liked to poo every now and then and it worked a treat.
    Rubbing fresh lemon in the area also works.

Good luck

20. SavannahKitten

SavannahKitten PetForums Senior

If you're still up for trying new things, try to put two litter trays next to each other (I know you said it would be difficult enough with just one extra so I'm not expecting you to be able to do it).
    If he has a litter tray with no cover, perhaps try one with a cover.
    Have you tried separating the cats?

It probably isn't relevant, but is this a moggy or a particular breed?

Final solution is to rehome to a home with no other cats, but explain his behaviour to a new owner - you don't want to find that they've thrown him out on his ear.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice