Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat won't leave my house

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Glensgirl, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Glensgirl

Glensgirl PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone I'm new here but just needing some advice. For the last few weeks a lovely cute and affectionate ginger and white cat kept sitting with us in the garden. It always came to see us every day and wait and our back door to open. I did make the mistake of feeding it coz it was meowing like mad. Of course it's been back everyday and night. Last night at 11.30pm I switched on my kitchen light and the cat was sitting on my ledge looking at me and meowing. I felt sorry for it so took it in and let it sleep (it didn't do much sleeping) and then let it out this morning with a note on a made up cat collar saying "is this your cat please call me on ..."
    ? It doesn't look unkempt or a stray. I don't know if it's lost either? I phoned a vet and they said to take it and they would scan it's microchip to find its owner. I asked if it didn't have a chip what would happen and she said cat and dog home. I wouldn't want that ..if the cat doesn't have an owner I would keep it myself. It seems to make itself right at home and seems to like us. So I would have no problem keeping this cat. What do you think I should do next?

huckybuck likes this.
  2. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Hello & welcome :)

Well she obviously likes you! You have tried the paper collar which is good, if she comes back, pop her along to the vets for a microchip check, if she has no chip, :D then give her all the love you have!

Wiz201, lorilu and Glensgirl like this.
  3. Glensgirl

Hello to you too she will be back later I think but I'm wondering if someone will call. Is it bad that I'm secretly hoping that no one will I will be sad to see her go....

Calvine and ewelsh like this.
  4. cows573

cows573 PetForums Senior

I would try your local neighbourhood before bringing her to the vet. Some cats are more free-roaming than others and the very worst scenario, in my opinion, is for your to adopt this cat if it already has an owner and then the owner claims them.

Glensgirl likes this.
  5. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

I would take it to a vet tomorrow and see if it's chipped. If not put up a few posters or knock on a few doors and see if anone claims it.

The note is a good idea.

6. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

Some rescues will come out and scan for a chip, or maybe you could take the cat to a rescue to check.

I have heard of vets/rescues that will take a cat and not return it to the finder so you need to be very careful.

7. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

No it isn't bad at all, very normal for you have fallen for her. Sadly you have to wait and see (a) if she comes back (b) if the owners reply by collar or call you (c) if she comes back and no one does contact you, pop her along to check her chip and then you will know for sure.

Some cats have multi homes! Worse case if she is someone's cat, you may be able to share her.

Keep us updated x

Glensgirl likes this.
  8. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Putting the paper collar on is good. If no response get a microchip check done. If no microchip then put notes through all local neighbours doors (include houses with gardens backing on to / adjacent to yours) and put posters up / post on facebook local sites. Basically do everything possible to try and trace an owner before assuming the cat has no home.

As someone whose cat was taken in by some well meaning person who did none of these checks I can tell you that having a cat go missing because someone else adopts it is heartbreaking.

Well done for trying to trace the owner. If it looks in good condition it almost certainly has one.

ForestWomble, LJC675 and chillminx like this.
  9. Glensgirl

This is why I'm wary of taking it to a vet. I would rather keep the cat myself than it getting into the wrong hands. I think I've fallen in love with this cat....but just found the home made collar outside my back door. It's obv taken it off. .....

jill3 likes this.
  10. Shrike

Shrike Brooke's faithful manservant

I would've thought rescues would be stuffed to the gunnels with kittens at this time of year, they would have to have very serious doubts about the person bringing in the cat to hold on to it. Glensgirl must get the cat chip scanned.

chillminx likes this.
  11. Shrike

Shrike Brooke's faithful manservant

Get a snap release collar with an address barrel on it. They only cost a few quid. Then put your message in the barrel. This sort of collar is more likely to stay on the cat than a paper one.

chillminx and ewelsh like this.
  12. Gwen9244

Gwen9244 PetForums VIP

Have you got a local Facebook page. You could post a picture on there to see if anyone claims him (or her).

13. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

You don't live near me do you? I am also getting a ginger and white cat visiting. I have 4 of my own, but the thing has no fear!

14. Glensgirl

I am in Aberdeen where are you?

15. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

Thank goodness, different cat - I'm in Staffordshire :D

Glensgirl likes this.
  16. Elaine b37

Elaine b37 PetForums Senior

ginger and white cats seem to be on a mission to get themselves adopted! there is one I see on my way home from work who has taken to following me home, however I am not fooled because I have also seen him/her sitting on a window ledge inside a nearby house looking quite contented and definitely at home!

Smuge likes this.
  17. Franlow

Franlow Guest

This kind of thing used to drive me mad. Having had 2 ginger cats stolen over the years - pre microchip. I have to ask, if it looks well cared for, why would you let it in & feed it? Both my cats were well looked after / fed, one was just 4 1/2 months old when he disappeared. He wandered in 4 months later, covered in fleas, ear mites & still with his little boy bits. I whipped him straight to the vets & had him sorted out, let him out 3 days later & watched some kids 3 doors down grab him & shoot indoors, apparently, he was their well loved pet had since a kitten & they were really peed off that I had had him neutered. They had shut him in for 4 months, the day he was let out, he came home, oh & of course they remembered the name of my kitten from the posters 4 months before! Sadly he was run over a few days later when he 'escaped' again. What really annoyed me, he was from the CPL.
    Totally different if it is a scraggy half starved thing, but, clearly this must have at least one home. One of cats would not keep a collar on - we called the little beggar Houdini. Literally I could put a collar on & the next time he came in, it was gone.
    If you would have no problems keeping this cat - which clearly has a home, get down to your local rescue centre & re home a needy animal. Sorry to sound mean, but, from an owners point of view well meaning people are a nightmare.
    I have had cats all my life & only ever had 2 that had other homes, some do, some don't. They were both ginger as well!

kittih likes this.
  18. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Having had friends who lost cats to well meaning neighbours taking them in, I have always been rather paranoid at the thought any of my cats might go into a neighbour's house. One of my cats who is highly food-obsessed (and has IBD) did used to go in through my neighbour's cat flap to steal the dry food she left down all day for her cats. So I bought my neighbour a Microchip cat flap to prevent a reoccurrence. Sorted! :)

It may sound a bit anti-social, but I discourage visitors to my home from being sociable to my cats, because I prefer my cats to be wary of strangers. As a result my cats run away from strangers who approach them outdoors - I have seen it happen.

kittih likes this.
  19. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

Regarding vets (more than rescues I think) not letting you hold on to the cat, you do still need to have a check, if the cat has a chip you need to follow the procedure, it might be that the owner is on holiday and cat is a bit out of routine. If there is no chip that is something else and you need to make an effort to find an owner before claiming it as your own.

I also have a ginger & white visitor, a big cuddly boy. He likes other cats and will make himself at home if he gets the chance. he homes in on the cat food, takes my sun lounger and on really determined days he will climb up on the sloping roof and try to get in the bedroom windows if we put him out. I have to remember to close the door when I go out to the garden or he will be in and sitting on the worktop when I get back.

You can buy collars which you can write a message on, why not try one of those?

20. Glensgirl

Hi everyone just to give you an update. ...I'm heartbroken but it's my own fault for getting attached to a cat that isn't mine. Today we took the cat down to PDSA and got it scanned. It had a chip and they contacted the owner. Passed my number on and said the owner would call me. Took the cat back home until it was time to meet the owner. I couldn't go so my partner did it. Turns out they are moving next week so I won't see the cat again which is good. Also she said to the woman at PDSA that she saw her cat quite happily lying on the window looking out when she went past.why didn't she knock on my door?! Anyway that's that and the lovely cat has gone. I couldn't stop crying earlier I'm gonna miss that cat.....oh and found out its name is Roo how cute is that ......

Gwen9244 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice